Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Individual day calendars causing negative float in P6 V8.2

1 reply [Last post]
Andrew Morrison
User offline. Last seen 6 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

There is a negative float on the schedule, but there are no constraints of any kind, which I know sounds illogical but bear with me. (this includes project must finish on date). It looks like it is do with calendars.

The negative float seems to be caused by some calendars which are set to dates within each period, to align to scheduled regular meetings. for example Monday week 1, or Friday week 3. These are used to make sure the schedule maintains dates should a meeting being missed it would have to wait for the following period and also means a run of authority board panels needed can be copied to new projects. 

When these calendars are removed the negative float issue goes away. This obviously changes all the dates to the first date of the sequence of meeting calendars.

It also goes away when these are changed to 1 day duration (as opposed to finish milestone), but changes the schedule of subsquent dates and means that my milestone codes are no longer assigned to milestones.

Is there something in the calendar setup that may cause the negative float? I cannot think of anything else that may cause this problem and cannot find the answer on any other forums.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Turn on your TIMES

Make sure that your TIMES are correct in you calendar meaning the start and end times of each day of the week.

Make sure that your TIMES are correct for ALL constraint dates Start milestones should be 8:00 am or the ealiest time on that calendar. Finish milestones should use 5:00 pm or the latest finish time in your calendar

Make sure that your data date TIME is correct it should be 8:00 am or the earliest start time in your calendar is 

Make sure that your project must finish by TIME is correct it should be 5:00 pm the latest finish time in your calendar.

Make sure that any activities that have an actual start started on 8:00 am or the ealiest time on that calendar.

Make sure that any activities that have an actual finsh date finished on 5:00 pm the latest finish time in your calendar.

Make sure that the milestones that have described above are assigned to the calendar

Make your durations 2 decimal and make sure that all original durations and remaining durations are in whole numbers.