Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Calendar Issue

10 replies [Last post]
Wan Azri Zakaria
User offline. Last seen 9 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Good day !

This is my first post in this forum. Glad if someone who reading this willing to help.

My senior planner recently has sent me a Baseline programme in XER file, I try to open the file, but the Baseline start and finish date is different from his computer. I have double check the file to find out that we use the same XER file. My computer showing -2 days different from the actual finish date. I have deleted the project and import it back, yet still having the same problem.

We have use the same calendar with him. In addition, we are using the same P6 8.2 version.

I would apreciate if you can help me about this problem.

Cheers 

Wan 

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

yes you can do what TOm suggested that during the import that you modify the import configuration and under Data Type: Project: check the calendars and change the action to insert new 

Tom Robinson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

When you import the file you need to use a "new calendar" and not the default so it will create a duplicate of the file you are imporing. This should fix it.

Tom

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

when you say that the Baseline start and finish date is different from his computer. I assume you mean that the calculated start date and calculated finish dates are different NOT the START of the Project or the PROJECT MUST FINISH BY DATE.

You also say that "I already get the actual start and finish date right" if this is a baseline schedule then there should be NO progress meaning no actual start ot actual finish dates contained in the schedule.

Regardless once the actual start and or finish dates have been recorded then they are no longer considered during the schedulng calculations so it would be impossible for them to be incorrect on your computer so you do not need to worry about this. 

You say that "We are using the same working hours per day,weeks, year" if you are refering to the settings in the Admin preference - Time period settings then there are only two thing that can be making the dates different.

ONE - you are using a default calendar that is different from the computer where the xer was exported from. 

even if you are using the same default calendar name look at the deatils for calendar on the computer where the xer came from vs the deatils on your computer for your default calendar chances are they are different. You may have 2 extra holidays in your calendar than the default calendar on the computer where the xer came form. Go thru month by month from the start of the project and compair the calendars on a month by month bases to determine if they are the same. 

TWO as Syed suggested look at which calendar for scheduling relationship is using and make sure that you are both using the same reatined logic setting when scheduling progress activities. Like Syed said press F9 then options and compaire these two setting also.

My guess is that you are using global default calendars not projetc specific calendars. I am 99% certain is that the calendars are different and that is your issue..

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 4 hours ago. Offline

Wan,

I suggest to set your default calendar as the same default calendar in the other pc.

Regards,

Wan Azri Zakaria

Sunil,

ok, will double check the calendar for each activities.

I will update here if the problem resolve

Thank you

Sunil Babu
User offline. Last seen 4 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

Wan,

These problem mainly happening due to wrong calendar settings. Check your calendar once again. There may be a chance of some activities falls in the wrong calendar

Wan Azri Zakaria

Syed,

I've checked with my friend about our configuration on F9 option. This also not resolving the issue. The issue was resolved by selecting the right layout (standard activity status) for my activities. 

I already get the actual start and finish date right. Unfortunately there was a new problem come, The Expected finish and BL Finish is not same in my Baseline. As mention previously, it has delayed 2 days from my friend PC. I've schedule back the date to start date of project. Resulting from this, my actual start and finish date showing the right date, but the BL project start and finish date shows delayed -2 days from the original date.

Thank you syed for the reply above.

Regards

Wan Azri

Wan Azri Zakaria

Hi Sunil, 

I have checked all the period setting. We are using the same working hours per day,weeks, year.

But still this not resolving the problem.

FYI, I have reinstall the software but the problem still appear in my baseline.

Anyway, thanks for dropping some help.

Thanks

Syed Hussain
User offline. Last seen 5 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

Wan,

Also check if you both are using same lag calendar. Press F9 and then options. This type of issue is usually due to different lag calendars.

Syed

Sunil Babu
User offline. Last seen 4 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Wan,

Check your time period settings hours/day , hours/week, hours/month, hours/ year match with the Baseline then schedule the programme. Admin preference - Time period settings

Regards,

Sunil.