Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Best Planning Software

4 replies [Last post]
kath heenan
User offline. Last seen 9 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi there

Ive recently moved to a new company and went from using P6 to MS Project, i havent had any training on MS Project and basically taught myself over the last 5 weeks. Trouble is its not a great resource utilisation tool - i may be wrong on this so please dont shoot me down for saying that! 

Anyway my post is really to ask which tool is the best software to use for a small oil company with a manufacturing workshop to enable forecasting and resource utilisation along with 'whatif' analysis. P6 is quite expensive and im not sure i would be able to convince them of the costs involved.

Thanks in advance

Replies

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

My only comment is that it is hard for me to imagine using a project management software package that does not provide the most critical metric of critical path analysis: drag. Neither Primavera nor Asta Spider, nor most other packages, computes critical path drag. Spider project computes drag on both CPM and resource schedules.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Murray Geddes
User offline. Last seen 3 years 48 weeks ago. Offline

To be fair, the term "Best" is subjective.

Most software packages available are able to cost load & resource, but some are more functional than others.

Having used a large number of the commercially available planning packages aimed at the construction sector, I found that both CS Project & Asta PowerProject were both functional and cost effective, with a relatively short learning curve if you are able to use another planning package at a reasonably profficient level.

MOHAMED RAJAKANI
User offline. Last seen 8 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
I have been assigned to prepare a masterplan Progress Tracking Tools Piping for EPC Chlorine project , starting from Large Boring Piping Prefabrication ,Large Boring Pipe Supports Prefabrication ,Large Boring Pipe Supports Erection ,Small Boring Pipe Erection ,Punch Listing ,Flushing Testing and PreCommissioning ,Lines Instatement,procurement,constructioin/installation , testing and commisioning of pipeline.I am in need of a sample Progress Tracking for Piping Templates for EPC project....Thank you in Advance
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 10 hours 31 min ago. Offline
Deleted by Rafael Davila as to avoid annoying requests to revive this discussion as it is older tha 3 years.