Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Junior, Master, and Senior Scheduler?

4 replies [Last post]
D Cravens
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I've seen the titles Junior, Master, and Senior Schedulers but i've never seen any specific criteria for those titles?  Is it just years or is there some other criteria for those titles?

Replies

James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline

Mike

You may well be right that the designations only apply within O&G (and further that they may only apply within my corner of it!)

as for the distinction between planner and scheduler we have our angle on that as well. In European O&G the work is "prepared" or (to use the local flemish terminology) "preperated" by what are called here "preperators" (I never heard the word before moving to Belgium and have never gone to the lengths of getting a dictionary out to confirm my suspicion that it's not really a word).

The Preperator will prepare the work package  (one valve, one ISO of pipe, one piece of equipment) from the bolts up, including field check, scaffold requests, materials lists and a small activity plan including a calculation of the hours required to perform the job. Here that calculation is based on a set of standard norms, probably derived from some US Gulf coast standard

The scheduler takes these (there maybe anything from 100 to 3,000 of these in a block, more commonly with us  around 1,000) and ties them together into an overall schedule, applying system, resource, weather constraints and analysing risk with the team.

So, what you say can be true (the preperator knows how to build the job, the scheduler can use the software) but this is a pretty pessimistic outlook and acceptance of a scheduler as a software jockey will not likely generate a good schedule, unless you have very strong preperators. The most practical schedulers (in my experience) start as preperators, and often before that as fitters. The best at managment communication come from Project management / coordination. The worst have only ever run software. Our team is a mix of the first 2, thankfully.

So, what's a planner then? well, for me the "planning" is the culmination of the complete effort, major deliverables including the schedule, the workpacks, the delivered materials and mobilised contractors amongst several others that I'm sure I've forgotten, ready to hand over to the execution teams (which, OK includes a lot of the same people and functions). So here we tend to use Planner as an umbrella term for anyone that works in the planning phases of Business, Strategy and Preperation (Operators and Inspectors would probably exempt themselves from such a description!) and then support during pre-execution and execution phases

I have also heard of what we call preperators being referred to as planners, destinct from schedulers, materials procurers etc, but then you need a different umbrella term I guess

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi D

Different industries have different termination so what James describes for oil and gas would not apply to Nuclear or Construction.

There does seem to be a general discrimination between scheduler and planner where a scheduler can work the software and a planner can build the project.

Some people can do both.

From my perspective I don't care what they call me as long as I can bank it.

Best regards

Mike Testro

D Cravens
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I've seen Job openings for Master Schedulers as if the industry seems to know what that is but I've never really got a set answer on what that means.  I've been the head scheduler on many projects but i always assumed that there was some time (5 years or something of that nature) involved with the designation.  In my field (Nuclear) i've not really seen any Block Schedulers, only Junior, Master, and Senior Schedulers.  Thanks for the reply.

James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline

There does seem to be some inconsistency in labels, this is how I view it in Oil and Gas Turnaround scheduling (I think this would apply to green field EPC aswell);

• Junior scheduler - Assists a scheduler. maybe collecting progress or taking a non critical part of a block. Sort of an apprentice ship position
  • Block scheduler - has the responsibility to schedule one block or package in a Turnaround or project. I would equate this with a "senior" scheduler. must be able to work independently to deliver the schedule related deliverables for their block. May report directly to management on their block or through the Master scheduler. Maintains the prep schedule for the block as well as the execution schedule
  • Master Scheduler - Writes the procedures and sets the standards by which the blocks and overall schedule are prepared, written, communicated, updated and reported. Manages the block schedulers and reports on overall progress for the team (preperation and execution). May schedule his/her own block as well but more likely not