Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Critical Activity

5 replies [Last post]
oyewole waheed Ba...
User offline. Last seen 9 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

I made a schedule of about 99 activities and after running my F9 (schedule), I found out that all my activities have

negative total float and turned every activities to be critical because I set my critical to "Total Float equals or less than 0hr" but when I changed to "Longest Path", then I have like 70 critical activities.

My question goes like this: Is this normal?  If not what do I need to do.

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Oyewole

Also check your callendars to see if there are any work days in the last year of your project.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 15 hours ago. Offline

Hi Oyewole,

In addition to Gary's comments: It seems that you arranged most of your activities in a sequence.

Check in the project view the "Must Finish Date" and empty it.

Good Luck!

Dieter

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Not really, no.

negative float generally means one of two things. Either:

1) Your programme is unable to achieve the dates it needs to. -ie you have a required delivery date for part or all of the project which you have reflected with a constraint in your programme, but your current chedule will not meet that date. Typically these required dates will be in the contract, and often have financial penalties associated with missing them. So it's a big problem.

2) Your programme is poorly constructed. Either you have a constraint which should not be there, or should be a different type of constraint, or you have out of sequence (OOS) working which can also cause negative float. OOS is when eg you have a successor starting before its predecessor has finished. Either way, it's not acceptable to have a poorly built programme. Fix it, and the negative float will go away.

oyewole waheed Ba...
User offline. Last seen 9 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Thank you, Mr Gary Whitehead for your Explanation. its acceptable in planning to

have all activities total float negative.

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

This is most likely because you have a finishy on / finish on or before / mandatory finish date on your last activity, or a must finish by constraint on the project, which you current programme is unable to achieve.

The negative total float is the amount of time each of your activities must be brought forward by in order to satisfy this constraint. Removing the constraint will remove the negative float.

Presumably you have this constraint there for a reason. There are positives and negatives to using such constraints, and i would advise you research the matter a bit more before deciding wether to remove the constraint or not. -Constraints, particularly mandatory constraints, can have a number of important effects on your schedule and you need to understand what you are doing before using them.

Until such time as you feel confident that you understand their implications, I would advise removing the constraint(s), but this may not be an option if, for example, it is a contractual requirement.

I advise reading the Primavera help files, search for previous discussions in this forum, and setting up a dummy project to play around with the different types constriants to understand their effects on early dates, late dates, free float and total float; both for the constrained activity and also activities upstream or downstream of it.

Good luck,

G