Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Dam Construction Schedule (Hydroelectric Power Plant)

6 replies [Last post]
Eric Amagon
User offline. Last seen 4 years 30 weeks ago. Offline

Dear All,

I urgently need your help if you can share with me a sample Schedule for Hydro-Electric power plant.

Kindly email it to ericamagon@gmail.com.

Thank you all and more power!

Thankyou and Regards,

Eric Amagon

Replies

Eric Amagon

Thanks Mike..!

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Eric

Assuming a Clay Core earthfilled dam.

You must avoid overtopping so a temporary spillway / tunnel must be constructed to divert the river during construction.

This has to be in place before anything else.

Then in the first dry season when the river is at its lowest point:

You can start the pumped grout shield to seal the fissures in river bed.

Next the key tench to take the base of the clay core.

Now you start the infill with a combination of puddled clay and earth embankments.

It is essential that you have enough haul units to deliver the material to raise the level high enough to be above the anticipated level at the next rainy season. Consider using conveyor belts supplemented with trucks.

Once you have passed the first rainy season then you should be able start hauling again.

Put the wet seasons on the calendar as non work days - it will be unlikely that the clay and the earth will be compactable in wet conditions.

The volume to be hauled reduces as the dam rises so a varialble average mass haul will determine the number of trucks required each month.

The turbine hall can be constructed concurrently with the dam - together with the inlet drop.

At the top of the inside face of the dam there is a layer of sharp rocks to break up any wave action - this is the rip rap.

There will be a conctrete spill way on the downstream side to allow for future floods and to keep the lake level constant - this has to be designed to avoid cavitation.

Construction of the spillway can proceed upwards following the dam fill.

When the dam has reached the top level then the diversion tunnel is blocked the lake will start to fill and water drop into the turbine hall and power will start to generate.

But not before the O'head transmission lines are ready to take it away.

I hope that helps

Best regards

Mike Testro

Eric Amagon

Hi Mike,

I know every project is unique. 

But as of now in our current manpower here are very limited since the project not yet given the Notice to Proceed. As just what i said in my previous reply that i only need sample schedule just to guide me and to get an idea for doing the schedule for this kind of project.

Anyways, thanks for the effort in replying, i appreciate it..

regards,

eric

Mike Testro

Hi Eric

I can't give you a sample project because such a thing does not exist - each project is unique.

I suggest you talk to the project engineers who will describe the construction philosophy.

And don't forget the rip-rap.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Eric Amagon

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply and i really appreciate it...

I only need a sample schedule for my reference and guide for the Schedule that im preparing on our project.

Thanks,

Eric

Mike Testro

Hi Eric

The key to a hydroelectric dam is to avoid overtopping.

So a few clarifications first.

Clay core earth fill or RC Bow structure.

Average water flow rate.

Anticipated 50 year flood.

Capacity of bypass tunnel.

Best regards

Mike Testro