Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

New Oil & Gas PM Book with Chapter on Critical Path Drag

No replies
Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Not sure how many on this forum work in the Oil & Gas Industry, but a new book titled Project Management for the Oil and Gas Industry: A World System Approach, by Badiru and Osisanyu, was published a couple of weeks ago.  The book is over 700 pages, and seems to be a pretty comprehensive coverage of the topic.  The publisher's description says:

"Using the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK®) framework from the Project Management Institute (PMI) as the platform, the book provides an integrated approach that covers the concepts, tools, and techniques for managing oil and gas projects."

The authors discuss specialized tools... They also discuss the major activities in oil and gas risk assessment, such as feasibility studies, design, transportation, utility, survey works, construction, permanent structure works, mechanical and electrical installations, and maintenance.

Strongly advocating a world systems approach to managing oil and gas projects and programs, the book covers quantitative and qualitative techniques. It addresses technical and managerial aspects of projects and illustrates the concepts with case examples of applications of project management tools and techniques to real-life project scenarios that can serve as lessons learned for best practices. An in-depth examination of project management for oil and gas projects, the book is a handbook for professionals in the field, a guidebook for technical consultants, and a resource for students."

Many of the chapters look very interesting, and I'm working my way through them.

But the main reason I mention it is that Chapter 6, "The Drag Efficient: The Missing Quantification of Time on the Critical Path", is a reprint of the article about critical path drag published last year in Defense AT&L magazine. So critical path drag (which as far as I know, is still only computed only by Spider Project and Sumatra.com's Project Optimizer add-on to MS Project) is now part of critical path method in at least two major industries other than construction.

(Another book, by two authors from the Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT), is due out in October about emergency response planning, with a brand new chapter by me on using critical path drag to optimize response schedules and save lives -- but I'll hold off on linking to that until it's released!)

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan