Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

6 Tips to Developing your Project Scope and Schedule – Mind Mapping

1 reply [Last post]
Brian James
User offline. Last seen 11 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I came across this rather different approach to creating your project scope and generating a project schedule. The article describes how mind mapping software helps by firstly brainstorming the project requirements all the way to assigning resources to tasks and exporting to Microsoft Project for detailed schedule development.

http://blog.mindgenius.com/2012/07/6-steps-from-project-scope-to-schedule.html

Considering trying it myself but does anyone have any experience with developing a project scope using mind mapping software or something similar?

Replies

Peter Holroyd
User offline. Last seen 1 week 2 days ago. Offline

Brian,

works well, very much like Interactive Planning Sessions. 

Drawbacks can be

Sessions dominated by a senior manager

Done early on so team not really up to speed with scope or objectives

Used as a learning session

Team too timid to contribute

Political agendas steer the meetings to unsupported decisions

The mind map has to be interpreted by the planner in MSP - What did the meeting mean by that?

Give it a go! For schedule I would definitely do a IPA asap in the project lifecycle and repeat it before each stage gate

Peter