Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to track,monitor road project without entering resources in MSP Program?

4 replies [Last post]
vipin thormothe
User offline. Last seen 11 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

As we are from client side, EPC has submitted a MSP program without resources allocation. Is it possible to monitor and track the progress in his given schedule?

Replies

Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 39 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
vipin thormothe

Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs. I have tried importing the MSP program in Primavera 8.1 and successfully imported. But now for tracking the progress i am using physical % complete data. In a road project of 244 kms, in India, resources are the big issue so EPC contractor is not able give the resource inuts. Weekly updation of the physical % comlpete work gives the basic information about the progress but budget and financial data,s curve is not available.

Regards,

Vipin

vipin thormothe

Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs. I have tried importing the MSP program in Primavera 8.1 and successfully imported. But now for tracking the progress i am using physical % complete data. In a road project of 244 kms, in India, resources are the big issue so EPC contractor is not able give the resource inuts. Weekly updation of the physical % comlpete work gives the basic information about the progress but budget and financial data,s curve is not available.

Regards,

Vipin

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Vipin

Has the contractor followed the programming requirements in the specification?

If it allows a non resourced MSP programme then there is not much you can do about it unless there is an an approval procedure to be followed when you can try and get it resourced.

You can monitor progress on an MSP with or without resources but in my opinion it is too lightweight for a road project

Linear construction requires a time/chainage chart such as Tilos or Vicos - even Asta PowerProject v 12 would be better.

Best regards

Mike Testro