Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resourse assignments in P6 Ver 7

22 replies [Last post]
Nilkamal Parikh
User offline. Last seen 29 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi,

I am a new user of P6 version 7. I want to prepare the program with resourses on it. I am not sure what I am doing is correct or not but I am explaining here to you all (Expert & well experienced Planners) for your comments:

I create a material resourse with the estimated production rate of units/day and assign that to the activity. The activity duration type I keep is "Fixed Units/time". Then I give budgeted quantity so the durations are derived from that. If I change the budgeted quantity the durations will change by its own.

Now my problem is, while creating the resourse I set certain production rate for that and I assign to the activity. But if I change the production rate of the resourse, it doesn't change to the assignments by its own. I have to remove the resourse assignment & reassign the same resourse again which is very boring and time consuming task. I am surer there must be some other way to do all at the same time. Can any body direct me how to do that?

Thanks

Nilkamal

Replies

Nilkamal Parikh

Thank you very much to all for the valuable guide for me as this is my very first post.

Much appreciated.

Thanks to Planning Planet too.......!!!

Nilkamal

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 39 min 40 sec ago. Offline

Great !!!

Nilkamal Parikh

Thanks Rafael,

I can do it now with your idea. Just go to resource assignment and bring the units/time column and change them all with fill down command.

Thanks a ton.

Nilkamal

Rafael Davila

I have to remove the resourse assignment & reassign the same resourse again which is very boring and time consuming task.

I am not sure the above is an absolute requirement, perhaps you just have to make available the column for units/time in the resource assigment tab of your activity(es), then you shall be able to modify it directly (not sure but nothing is lost if you try) not a big step but a step in the right direction if it works.

I would not give up on the idea that what you are doing manually can be done with a global change as it is a simple request, just time consuming for hundreds of assigments, and vey boring indeed.

Beste regards,

Rafael

Shareef Abdul Azeez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

Hi NilKamal

Run a Global change to change the Duration Type of the activities containing the resource to "Fixed Units".

Then

Run another Global Change to Change the Budgeted Units/time to the new production rate. This will change your durations as required.

Units = Units/ time * Durations

You have to fix one of the variables to get a result.

**--"Drive Activity Date" option for the resource to be ticked(checked ON)

PS: The procedure become complex for activties with actuals statused and would not yield required results as changing form one duration type to another overwrites the actuals and can not handle the scenarios suggested by Vladimir and Raphael

Regards

Shareef

Shareef Abdul Azeez

X

Rafael Davila

Nikamal,

In the following link you will find a video of how in Spider Project I would do it using filers and formulas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRFsNaDljtk

I had the suspicion P6 cannot mimic in any way, not even with SDK,some of the most basic functionality of Spider Reference Books. But your requirement is so elemental that you should be able to mimic what you already are doing in P6 with simple filters and global changes.

I tried Vladimir suggestion and it came out that if filter and formulas are easy the use of Reference Books for such simple requirement is even easier. I can generate as many scenarios and save them under separate reference book versions or I can use a single reference book and modify it using filters within the reference books but also can transfer the data to selected multiple jobs. Some bad habits learned from other software where options are limited are difficult to change.

Best regards,

Rafael

Hi Nikamal,

what you want to achieve can be easlily done in Spider Project. If you will change resource assignment productivity for certain type of work in one place (reference-book) everywhere where this resource is assigned to activities of this type its productivity will change and new activity durations will be calculated.

Potential workaround - to create the schedule based on amounts of work to be done and assigned resource productivities in Spider Project and expost the resulting schedule to P6 if this is client requirement.

P6 has no necessary functionality.

Best Regards,

Vladimir

Nilkamal Parikh

Hi Shareef,

Thanks for your reply. The idea you gave is fine but it will not work exactly because when you delete the assignments from related activities, the durations will stay there and when you re-assign the resource with changed production rate, the duration needs to be corrected manually for all items one by one.

Thanks

Nilkamal

Rafael Davila

Nikamal,

I use Spider Project and not P6 but used it before for a limited time.

Now I believe I understand your question. From what you say I am understanding P6 applies the current default value to newly created activities and that same as in Spider you can change the value individually or in groups. That you are looking for a way to apply the change to the selected group.

In Spider I would use UDF [user defined field] to identify and filter the assignments in question and then with a formula I would change the value to the selected activities assignments. This I can perform while in the assignments Gantt instead of using the activity Gantt. Note in your software different name apply to the views and tables and maybe there are differences on the close equivalent you call "Global Change".

Once you have identified the activities you can re-apply the formula [or global change] to change the value as many times as you want with a single click of the mouse.

Maybe you can mimic my suggestion within P6 but it is up to you and how P6 works, perhaps others can help with the idea to see if it works in P6.

Wish you good luck.

Rafael

Shareef Abdul Azeez

Hi Nilkamal

The easiest way would be to use SDK. The other way I could think of is... delete the said resource from the resource list which will inturn delete all its assignments on the 50 activities which you have mentioned. Then create the same resource again with the new production rate and select all the 50 activities and assign the resource to all the 50 activities with one click.

Regards

Shareef

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Nikamal,

The Max Units/Time from the resource library is the same as the limit of resources per time for the entire project and not for individual activity. Say if you assign the same resource to multiple activities with different budget units, the total units per time for that resource will be compared to that max units/time, which means that you may know that the resource is over allocated or below limit. The limit may be usefull too when performing levelling of resources.

Use the Global Change to change the units/time of the activities affected.

Hope this will help.

Nilkamal Parikh

Hi Rafael,

Thanks for your reply. What you have mentioned is not 100% I need. Let me put it in much simpler way. I have assigned a resourse which works 35 units/day to 50 items. So for each item, the resource usage is 35units x durations.

Now if I want to change that 35 units/day to 27 units/day and this should reflect to eash items as well. i.e the resource usage for each items must be 27 units x durations.

My problem is if I go to the resource library and edit Default units/Time from 35 to 27, it do not change to the items. I have to go to each item and remove the assigned resource and add again the same one to give effect of the change. I do not want to do it for all 50 items. I am sure there must be some way to do it with single click.

Please mention if any settings I need to change.

Thanks

Nilkamal

Rafael Davila

Nilkamal,

Is this what you are looking?

To be able to define different production rates (productivity) to a single resource and being able to drive activity duration with production resources of different resources each with its own production rate so that if you change the resource productivity the activity duration is adjusted accordingly?

Photobucket

after adjusting productivity on Activity 2 resources as shown we get

Photobucket

Note that resource A can produce different things say CMU installation and SY of cement plaster at different production rates. The following link will show you the video for you to see the change as it happens.

http://youtu.be/YU5E-ijy_kY

The idea is not to merely change productivity manually but also to be able to use skills so that depending on the availability and priorities the software assign the available resource and adjust the activity duration depending on the available resource(s) individual production rates.

Material resources represent consumable resources  so if you have 50cm of gravel it will be consumed until depletion while installation of 50cm of gravel is done by regular resources [labor/equipment] and the 50cm in this case represent volume of work.

Best regards,
Rafael

Nilkamal Parikh

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for your reply. But I am still not much clear with what you mentioned. If you do not have budgeted quantity for your programmed activity then how do you derive the durations for the activities? I allocate the budgeted quantity for my items and then assign the estimated team which will perform the task at certain rate. So I can get the durations and assign all the resources for that much time.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Please comment.

Thanks

Nilkamal

Nilkamal Parikh

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for your reply. But I am still not much clear with what you mentioned. If you do not have budgeted quantity for your programmed activity then how do you derive the durations for the activities? I allocate the budgeted quantity for my items and then assign the estimated team which will perform the task at certain rate. So I can get the durations and assign all the resources for that much time.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Please comment.

Thanks

Nilkamal

Hi Nikamal,

what is the purpose of this assignment?

Activity duration does not depend on material requirements per work hour. If activity will be longer of shorter the volume of work will become larger or smaller than 50,000m3 and that"s all.

Best Regards,

Vladimir

Nilkamal Parikh

Hi SM PUM,

Thanks for your reply. Rather then usign the word productivity I should use budgeted units/day. So at the moment I am creating such thing using a material resourse which represent particular team with specific operation. Let me write a little example to explain bit mor clearly:

As I am working for the tenders for the job which has large earthworks, road works, drainages, etc. No say for example the earthwork will be happening with different machines like Scrapers or Trucks. So I use the term Scraper Fleet which is made up of all the plants & operators. But there will be one additional resourse which is a material type with predefined estimated units/day i.e say Scraper Crew - 5,000m3/d. Which can be achieve using 3-Scrapers, 2-Dozers, (3+2) Operators & 2-Labours.

Now when I assign this material resource of Scraper Crew to some particular activity which has budgeted quantity of 50,000m3, in this case with this scraper crew I need to work for 10 days (50,000m3/5,000m3=10 day). And all the related resources will be occupied for those 10 days.

I use this method to load the budgeted work and resource assignment too. So From resource assignment I gan get all the loading of quantity and usage of my plants over time.

Is this something wrong what I am doing here? Can you please comment?

Nilkamal

Tanveer Ahmad Niazi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

My friend my concept is very much clear, I didn't about PRODUCTIVITY I asked Nilkamal where and how did he enter/set the "PRODUCTION RATE". Coz I didn't find any column, field or tab for this.

Thanx & Cheers

Tanveer

SM PUM
User offline. Last seen 10 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Nilkamal Parikh

Better make your concepts clear because I have not found anything like productivity in Primavera P6 yet.You first enter resource,assin its cost/Unit,assign calenders if any,assign max units per time,assign effective dates and shift calenders if any..... and after that you assign that resource to your activity.There you put the required resources in Remaining unit/Time column.This was a summary and there are reference mannuals easily available if you goole it. Check this one

http://www.ce.metu.edu.tr/~ce736/P6ReferenceManual.pdf

Regards

In Spider Project you can define activity physical volume (amount) of work and assigned renewable (people, machines) resource productivities. Activity duration and the speed of work and material consumption will depend on total productivity of assigned renewable resources. There is not such thing as material resource profuction rate, it depends on assigned people and/or machines production rate.

I don't know about productivities in P6. There is no such field at all.

Tanveer Ahmad Niazi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Hi, Nilkamal,

I am also new in planning and working on P6v7. Would you please tell me where did you enter/set the production rate, coz I didn’t find any column or tab for this,

Thanx & Cheers

Tanveer