Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Creating a company planing procedure

4 replies [Last post]
Olivia RSA
User offline. Last seen 10 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Fellow Planners

Can anybody give me pointers as what this consists of and how to go about creating one ?

thanx in advance

Replies

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Ryan,

If you don't know what a Company Planning Procedure should consist of, that suggest you have never even seen one before?

If you have never even seen one before, I would suggest you may not be the right person to write one.

But if you are determined to have a go, a good Company Planning Procedure should include such content as:

-Policy on scheduling software, including mandatory / recommended settings, training, and software updates

-Policy on mandatory WBS, CBS, OBS, RBS & EPS

-Mandatory and free-for-use activity & Project codes

-Definition of Schedule Levels

-Scheduling practises (Rolling Wave Planning, Stagegates, BIM, etc)

-Minimum scheduling standards (level fo detail, max update periods, use of lags & negative lags, constraints, non-FS relationships, etc)

-Resource Loading (named resources? by trade? by gang? plant? materials? space?)

-Earned Value Methodologies (level of cost loading, EV Metrics to be reported, etc)

-Scope / Change Management

-Baselining policy

-Archiving policy

-Company / division / department-wide reporting

-Roles & Responsibilities

-Standardised report formats

-Regular review & revision of Conmpany Planning Policy

Good luck,

G

Bryan Dewberry
User offline. Last seen 5 years 49 weeks ago. Offline

I'm doing something similar and went to Google and searched for examples. You can find some pretty good ones out there that can at least get you started with ideas for your own. None of them will be perfect for what you need as your local processes and procedures will probably be unique but they should help you get started. I can't vouch for the accuracy of their procedures.

Here are some examples I found:

http://www.virginiadot.org/business/resources/const/PostAwardSchedGui.pdf

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/publications/fulltext/PMRS/Guidance_Desktop_Procedures/SchedulerDesktopProcedures.pdf

https://www.dot.ny.gov/main/business-center/contractors/construction-division/construction-repository/NYSDOT_P6CLIENT_Training_Manual.pdf

Mohd Syahrul
User offline. Last seen 12 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

simple - put up some words on what method of planning you're using, softwares,way you create schedule, types of reports after that and finally, the close-out report. So that every project will be executed based on the complany's planning procedure wrt to the client specs. 

Olivia RSA
User offline. Last seen 10 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

or can someone mail me an example plz, inbox me for email addy