Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Getting Started

2 replies [Last post]
Samantha Collins
User offline. Last seen 13 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi everybody,

I've just joined the website today after a friend recommended it. I'm almost brand new to planning, Taken some courses in P6 and am working on trying to get familiar with it. For now, I don't have any questions on P6, I'll have many later on though I think. My question is on the whole approach to it. What is the sequence to building a program? The WBS, activities and sequencing is pretty straight forward. I'm getting bogged down on resources, man-hours etc. Is there a book out there somewhere telling you exactly what to do, step by step? 

Thanks guys

Sam

Replies

Samantha Collins
User offline. Last seen 13 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Rafael,

That's really great, thanks for your help. I'm going to go online now and search for that book.

Take care

Sam

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 25 min ago. Offline

Welcome,

https://www.nysdot.gov/main/business-center/contractors/construction-division/construction-repository/PMRefMan.pdf

Not sure if it is the manual for the version you have but seems like Primavera as well as many software vendors are making available their manual in PDF to anyone as this is a download from a government site.

There is a well known book titled CPM in Construction Management, by O'Bien and Plotnick., used by many fans of Primavera products. I do not use it as I am not any longer a fan of any Primavera product, therefore from my viewpoint it is irrelevant, but not necessarily from yours, in such case look for it. I don't believe this book will disclose the mathematical errors in P6 and the limitations for shift modeling as well as the lack of more advanced resource modeling that are missing in P6.

Eventually if you dare to explore beyond the limits of P6 you will discover what many like NASA with Stottler Henke's Aurora has, that the resource leveling capabilities are not so good. Just look at the following reference.

http://www.stottlerhenke.com/products/aurora/Turnaround/2009-10-01_Aurora_WhitePaper_Turnaround.pdf

Well I compared my choice, Spider Project to P6 and Aurora and got even better results. Let me know latter-on when you feel comfortable with resource leveling so we can compare some resource leveling results.

Here we dare to debate such issues in the hope the scheduling community will benefit from sharing the knowledge.

If you have no problem with WBS then you are having a good start as many at the beginning have problems with it.

In my opinion this is the best place to learn about scheduling, you will be surprised of the diversity of themes, from logic to claims, there is even a trivia section.

Best regards,

Rafael