Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Middle Eastern Project Calendars - Ramadan

5 replies [Last post]
Simon Willson
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

I am setting up a P6 database in Dubai and am trying to forecast when Ramadan and other religious / public holidays will fall for the next 10 years.  I have a 5 year look ahead but can not source any further than this on the web.  I appreciate that the period of Ramadan is tentative and will depend upon the lunar cycle for each Middle Eastern region. 

Does anyone have a long term calendar resource I could refer to?

Would it be an idea to have a section for calendars in the construction rates / norms?  Just a thought.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Replies

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Move backward 11 days every year.

Rizwan Rauf, PMP
User offline. Last seen 8 years 33 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Simon,

I have conversion calender tool to convert from english to islamic months. you can easily calculate time from that. If needed, let me know.

Best Regards,

Rizwan Rauf

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Simon

An alternative is to do the same as my project in Kuwait - Employ Coptic Egyptians.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Simon Willson
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks Daniel,

I have a 5 year look ahead so have been able to update my project calendars to this point.

My project for the last period of Ramadan was working in the desert in Iraq.  Construction workers tended to commence work at 04:00 and were finishing work around 12 each day however, I noted that production rates were not as competetive as usual.  I set up my calendar to forecast probable output and reduced effectiveness by 50% to account for the loss in production.

Simon  

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Simon,

I think base on my observation Ramadan moves (minus) 1 month every year until it completes a full year cycle..so fo example, if Ramadan this year falls on the month of say July, next year would be June, the following year would be May.

You need to verify it though. However for forecasting purposes you can always consider 1 month per year.

Best regards,

Daniel