Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Link between specific database and a project planning software

4 replies [Last post]
azar sad
User offline. Last seen 13 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi

I need to know is there any way to link a general specific data base to software such as P3 or P6. our goal is to make this combination an online, decision making tool or self decision maker.

Thanks

Replies

Hi Azar,

Monte Carlo simulation may be useful for strategic decisions but is rarely used for many reasons that include:

1) It is time consuming and requires a lot of input data,

2) Existing Monte Carlo simulation tools are not perfect,

3) The quality of input information is always low.

So the results of Monte Carlo simulation using current tools and approaches shall be considered as very rough estimates.

But estimating necessary contingency reserves and realistic time and cost is necessary and Monte Carlo is one of potential approaches to reciving these estimates.

We use different approach that is not that time consuming and can be done fast. This approach is a part of Success Driven Project Management methodology. Many publications on SDPM may be found at http://www.spiderproject.ru/publ_e.php#eng

SDPM is used not only for strategic decisions nut also for regular project management.

I am sure that strategic decisions shall always be based on risk analysis. So some tools for risk simulation and obtaining realistic estimates shall be used.

Best Regards,

Vladimir

azar sad
User offline. Last seen 13 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Vladimir

Do you think using monte carlo simulation tool is useful for strategic decision??? Do you know the scope of this method is how much extended???

Thanks

Hi Azar,

project management software is a decision support tool. It supplies decision makers with the analysis of the future consequences of their decisions, answers "what if" questions, and helps to prove that some decisions are better that the others.

We always use resource leveling because manual leveling in large complex projects produces poor results or is just impossible. So it is reasonable to use computer power to get best results and not just some results.

But finding optimal resource constrained schedule is hard mathematical problem and most PM software packages (like MSP, P3. P6) produce poor resource leveling results. I think that Mike just never used proper PM software and thus decided to do this very hard job manually.

I am sure that any PM software supports links to/from external databases. But remember that any scheduling shall be made only if all project acttivities have the same data date. So the process of decision making shall be disreete - at some moment the schedule shall be updated using the data imported from the databases and all actual information. If the schedule is not synchronized - the actual data on different activities and the database data have different dates then no decision shall be made.

Best Regards,

Vladimir

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Azar

I would never allow a computer to make a decision.

For instance I never use the resource levelling software.

Look at the available data and make your own decision.

Best regards

Mike Testro