Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

total float erosion reporting

5 replies [Last post]
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
I’ve seen a number of ways of doing this over the years, and I was wondering which the PP’ers feel is best practise?

Example reports I have seen/used:

-Report total float for each area vs last update
-Report number of activities with less than (say)10d float vs last update
-Report percentage of remaining activities with less than 10d float vs last update
-Report number of activity paths with less than 10d float vs last update
-Report Probalistic P50 completion date vs last update
-Report sum of all total float vs last update

Any others out there? Which do you prefer, and why?

Cheers,

G

Replies

Gary Whitehead
Rami,

As a project progresses, some activities will be completed early, thereby creating more total float for it’s successors. Some will be late, thereby eroding the total float for it’s successors.
If enough (non-critical) activities are late, eventually their successors will become critical and impact on the forecast completion.

Unless you look at errosion of total float and/or probability of achieving forecast completion date, you won’t notice this process happening until the forecast completion date is affected, by which time it may be too late to do anything about it.

If on the other hand you report with each update the total number of activities with, say less than 10 days total float (or one of the other methods of tracking float erosion I mentioned in my first post), you can easily see a trend developing whereby more activities are becoming near critical, and will soon delay the project if this trend is not addressed.

You can get something similar by just looking at the number of activities which are late vs baseline or previous month’s forecast, but many of these activities will have enough total float that a week’s delay will have no effect on the chances of completing on time. And some activities will be completed on time or even early, but had so little total float that their successors still present a risk of delay.
Rami Al Haddad
User offline. Last seen 4 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Gary,

can you please explain to me in simpler terms the relevance of Total Float Erosion and how it serves as a tool to monitor/control the project!

Thank you,
Rami
Hi Gary,
total float trends will not show anything if there are Must dates in the schedule, that we try to avoid.
If for some reason the milestone will be delayed total float trend of activities preceding this milestone may look positive despite the poor performance on this group of works.
That is why we suggest to look what happens with the forecasted completion dates of major project phases.

You are right that probability trends depend both on performance and on risks. That is why we consider them as best performance indicators because they provide us with integrated performance measurement data.
Gary Whitehead
Hi Vladimir,

If throughout the project you are consistently behind programme on near-critical activities, they will eventually eventually affect the forecast completion.
Trending total float allows you to see this happening before forecast completion is affected
There is a causal relationship between erosion of total float and decreasing probability of meeting forecast completion date

I agree that what matters most is forecast completion, but understanding total float trends is also a valuable performance indicator.

We will also be reporting trend of probabilities, but this is affected by both risk and progress. Float doesn’t look at risk but tells you more about how the project is activities and that the right activities are being progressed.
Reports on total float trends make sense only if there is Must finish date in the schedule.
In other case trends of forecasted completion dates are most useful for project performance analysis.
Spider Project shows trends of all project parameters from the project start to the current date. We usually do not apply Must Finish constraints in the schedule but define target dates and costs for risk analysis. Trends of probabilities to meet project tartgets are best performance indicators.
Best Regards,
Vladimir