Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Crude Oil Storage Activities and Duration

16 replies [Last post]
Kas DaAce
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Hello All, First post here. I learned of this forum from the Primavera Groups. With that said, I am from the O&G side of having worked with pipeline and process mostly. Well I may be move to a Crude Oil Storage project and wanted to know if any of you have any experience and could give me from the EPC side the activities (with or without durations) that are included with this size of a project. They will be onshore and have some facilities. I’m assuming that this project will be an expansion with 250,000m3 tanks and not a ground up, but whatever you can provide will be a learning experience for me, even if I am not placed on this particular project. I don’t have a lot of detail right now, but once again whatever you can provide will be most helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Kas

Replies

BRIJESH PATEL
User offline. Last seen 6 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Guys,

Recently we got new EPC project for oil storage tanks and I am shifted to this project. I have experience of oil and gas refinery and explorationProjects and never did tankage project.  Anyone please send me sample schedule and activities of any EPC Oil storage tanks for my reference purposes. Thanks in advance Regards,Brijeshbrijeshpatel.bap@gmail.com +918003892177
Andronikos Rouvis
User offline. Last seen 13 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all,

My name is Andronikos and i am currenlty preparing a study about the dangers / risks ascociated with the construction, testing and commisioning of oil tanks / oil - fuel terminals. Dangers related to constructions methods, materials used, substances, etc. 

Therefore i would appreciate if you have any info that will help!

Thanks in advance

Andronikos

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 55 min ago. Offline
time is of the escence ....

http://www.galglass.co.uk/industrial/pre-cast-concrete-tanks.aspx

Can be manufactured locally just contact any precast facility close to where you are. Precast concrete poured during the day is usually stripped next day, so it shall be strong enough for the worst to happen next day, this is done every day at a precast plant.

Perhaps joint sealant can be critical for this Sika could provide expertise.
Kas DaAce
Thanks Samer,
I will definitely keep that in mind and will do. If anyone else have anymore tips or possbile go-bys in Primavera that I can take a look at, I welcome it.
I thank you all once again!

All the best,

Kas

ps...sorry Mike, I didn’t pick up on it either (;0)
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Kas,

You need to keep close eye about the Electro mechanical requirements especially the testing. Usually, you need special welders.

Also, the you need to discuss scafolding and automatic welding machines.

The best part would be rolling of the plates and achieving the alignment required in the design specifications. Hence, expert construction team is required.

With kind regards,

Samer

PS. Sorry Mike I did not catch up on that :)
Kas DaAce
Samer, you are correct. Steel is definitely the obvious choice, but I was only throwing the concrete out there due to someone throwing it out during the conversation. I am familiar with the concrete method and know about the since of urgency with working with concrete and all the rebar involved.

I thank you guys once again and if you have any detail information that you would like to provide to fill out what is already been presented it can only assist me more once I get the true SOW and give me some additional ammo once I sit down with the engineers to work out the plan.

All the best,

Kas
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Samer

I think you may have realised that the BP storage system was meant to be humorous - I obviously failed completely.

One or two things you forgot on your list:

1. Foundation platform for the steel tank
2. Spillage bund that has to be 120% of the total storage capacity.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Kas,

You are talking about building concrete crude tanks farm for 250,000m3. Say you have 50m dia tank x 10 meters high (4 plates), volume is approximately 20,000m3 and then you need 13 tanks. This is going too expensive and too slow in concrete. Unless there is a specific purpose for that.

If you are worried about sea water and corrosion, then you have paint systems that can provide 10 years warrenty in the most humid areas on earth.

In any event, you job as a planner is to review the Contract Documents, specification and drawings and come up with the best constructable plan with your construction team.

With kind regards,

Samer
Kas DaAce
Thank you guys so much!!! Yes, the salt caverns have been around for a while (BP Thunderhorse) and are part of the LOOP in storing the oil. The name BP is like mud around here if you mention it get ready for it (;0).

Thanks again and this is very helpful, does anyone have any activity info on the concrete form tanks instead of the steel? Also, it may be nearshore with marine terminal and adding one additional mooring point. I look forward to hearing from you guys, just looking through this site you have some great intellectual conversations and I can’t wait to read and add where ever I can!

Thanks again!!!

Kas
Samer Zawaydeh
Hi Mike,

Here is what I am talking about; 4 salt caverns holds oil for 60 days.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question478.htm

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
Hi Samer

Not that they are storing a whole lot of oil right in the sea.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Mike,

If you are talking about the strategic reserve, then that is filling the old wells with the new crude. It has been going on sice Clinton time at least. No need for tanks, the ground in ready to receive the crude.

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
Hi Samer

You must have heard that BP are currently storing massive amounts of Crude Oil in the gulf of Mexico - most of coming right up to Kas front door in the Mississipi.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Mike,

This is interesting to read about. Do you have a link.

Yes you are correct, I am describing the work on a steel tanks farm.

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
Hi Kas

Welocome to PP.

Samer is assuming that the tanks are steel structure.

They may well be slipformed concrete which would require a different set of tasks.

BTW you may have heard that BP have developed their own form of offshore storage round your way.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Kas,

I have done a crude heater in a Refinery and I will provide you with my input regarding what I think might take place on this project.

Project Scope: EPC expansion of 250,000m3 Crude Tanks
1. Engineering
I. Site Survey
II. Calculations and Design Drawings
(Civil, Electrical, Mechanical)
III. Approvals & Review
IV. Shop Drawings preparation
V. Material Submittals
IV. Method Statements submittals and approval
2. Procurement
I. Steel Structure Fabrication
II. Steel Tanks Fabrication
III. Floating Steel Roof Fabrication
IV. Steel Painting
V. Steel Delivery to site
3. Construction
Divide into zones, and repeat for each zone
I. Civil Works
II. Anchor Bolt Placing
III. Steel Plates Lifting and Welding in situ
IV. Installation of Steel Roof
V. Erection of secondary structures
VI. Testing of All welds and joints
VII. Air Testing of Tanks/ or per specs
VIII. Final Painting at site.
XI. commissioning
X. Handing Over

It depends on the details of the project that you want to construct. They are the major steps, and you can fill in between the details as per drawings and specifications, evironmental, resources availability, etc.

With kind regards,

Samer