Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

from paris with love

6 replies [Last post]
mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
hi all

http://www.euroma2009.org/Proceedings/Papers/FCXST-09068951-1560207-1-Tr...

this is an academic research made to compare the resource leveling of seven packages in the market, (sorry no spider, powerproject or openplan)
using the default setup of priority rules the winner is Sciformat PS8, and ms project outperform P6, but all of them give an increase to the project duration comparing to the optimum duration calculated by some magic stat of the art algorithm

good read.

mimoune djouallah

Replies

The closest is FBI though our iterative algorithms are more complicated and are used since first launch of Spider in 1993. So for us "new approach" is not the right word.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
mimoune djouallah
Vladimir

i am sure you have already read this paper,
http://129.187.106.231/psplib/files/KH-18-2-05.pdf
it is very interesting to note the recent academic research in this field, i bet it will not take a lot of time before scheduling software will use those new approach.

Vladimir,(if u don’t mind) the algorithm used by spider can be classified in which category ;)

best regards
Hi Mimoune,
I tried but could not understand the format.
Unfortunately academic algorithms usually do not work with large dimensions.

Best Regards,
Vladimir
mimoune djouallah
Vladimir and anoon

the data set, the optimum solution (using state of the art algorithm) are downloaded from
http://129.187.106.231/psplib/

and Vladimir yes you can test spider with this, who knows perhaps spider will give a shorter duration then this academic algorithm

best regards
P6 default algorithms are awful.
It is not easy to check their conclusions because the set of sample projects was not defined.
It would be interesting to try Spider with this set.
Thank you for the reference.
Vladimir
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Mimoune,

I’m not sure if I understand the paper correctly, I’m looking for any mention of the settings used for the reference data (how the reference durations were derived). Is there any?

It was mentioned that:

"For none of the 1560 instances,
any PMIS computed a schedule with a shorter project duration than the reference value."

and

"In this paper, we have experimentally analyzed the resource-allocation capabilities of
seven commercial PMIS. For the resource- and precedence-constrained project
scheduling problem RCPSP, it has turned out that when using any of these packages for
resource allocation, the project duration obtained is noticeably longer than necessary."

How did they arrived at the "necessary duration(s)" (using the reference data)?

Are the settings used for comparison between the reference data and the subject softwares were the same?

They only mentioned that they used "default settings" and "best options" for the softwares to calculate durations.

Can anybody clarify?