Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

To all planners

6 replies [Last post]
Rola Sabbah
User offline. Last seen 10 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Hi every body
i need your help, i am a civil engineer planning a huge project, the problem is that i don’t know about MEP systems and how to plan for them, all what i know is 1st, 2nd, and final fix and that is it, how can i get some knowldge about these systms?

and another thing, I graduated on 8/2008, and started planning on 9/2009, as a planner with this expereince is it excpected that i develope a full schedule by my self?
i am trying to evalute my self, any body can help? please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am using p6, trying to use pertmaster, and pcm, i really
don’t know how to evaluate my work

Replies

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Rola,

You might want to read the following as well:

" RESPONSIBILITY AND REQUIRED SKILLS FOR A PROJECT
PLANNING AND SCHEDULING PROFESSIONAL"

www.aacei.org/technical/rps/14R-90.pdf

With kind regards,

Samer
Osama Warid
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Greetings Rola
I think the experience it is your problem and the best to study and understand Drawings, Spec. and BOQ and discussing the coordination of these documents with experieced engineer for the method of executing of such activities

Regards,
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Rula,

There are good articles on the net about what makes a good schedule.

www.warnercon.com

With kind regards,

Samer
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Rola,

Please take it one step at a time. The Program of Works is built from Activities. You need to compare it to doing something that you can do very well, and have the same confidence.

An engineer with 1 year experience is a junior engineer on a project, whereas an Engineer with 40 years experience might be needed to build a skyscraper. The material used for both is concrete and steel.

To evaluate your program, you need to compare it to the actual progress at site. A good advice is to site with your construction crews and learn how they will proceed with completing their jobs. This is the challenge. It is like translating from Construction Language to Programing Language.

You always need to keep updating your work. Learn what the construction team has done on the 1st floor and model it in the remaining floors.

Can you answer the planning and scheduling questions that the Project Manager is asking from you. For example:

1. What are we going to complete next months and how many people do we need to complete it?
2. Did we complete all the submittals on time?
3. When is the material going to arrive at site?
4. How much invoicing have we done? How much scope did we complete?
5. What is the effect of the variation orders on the project completion date?

The more you ask, the more you learn. Good luck,

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Hi Rola

To be brutal - you are out of your depth and should not be planning work that you cannot construct yourself.

It does not matter what software you are using - if you can’t build it you can’t plan it - and MEP is one of the trickiest disciplines of them all.

Ask someone who does know how it all fits together and than SCHEDULE the plan that is described to you.

Do not forget the cinstruction interfaces with other trades.

Also whatever time is left for comissioning - it is never enough.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Rola

Check out this link ,you could learn basics of MEP programme structure

http://planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=1&Cat=1&Top=67703