Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Standard Planners shorthand

11 replies [Last post]
Chris Gibbons
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None
Is there a standard Planners shorthand for note taking when receiving planning updates?

Replies

Chris Gibbons
Kieran Thomson
User offline. Last seen 11 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
You should be a secratary....
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Nigel

I once had a judge who thought my Level 4 programme related to the 4th floor of the building.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Nigel Winkley
User offline. Last seen 1 week 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Just be careful that there is only one meaning!
T&C = Test & Commission to us planners but Terms and Conditions to contracts guys, HVAC = Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning OR High Voltage Alternating Current
(Did have one chap wanting to put in a transformer instead of a chiller plant!)
Nige
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 21 hours 54 min ago. Offline
Sammer

It is a general comment and it was directed not only to PMI as a reference but to other sites that provide their own glossary, I don’t think any can claim possession of a universal glossary. Because of this, contracts make their own or refer to specific references such as codes and standards and thereby adopt their glossaries.

I can recall a site that adopted a glossary with various terms for the same thing, terms from different software, thus creating confusion. I do not remember which one was but in my opinion they became prostituted by doing so. My reference to prostitution was a warning about these sites, is a personal opinion. Any reference that makes his mind and avoid ambiguity should be welcomed.

Please be informed that because I was receiving many e-mails from threads that became annoying with requests for e-mail me a file copy I had no other option than to change my PP e-mail to a fictitious as to stop receiving such e-mails so in occasions I will not see your postings and you will not be able to contact me within PP messaging service.

Best regards,
Rafael
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Rafael,

Can you please let me know what you are refering to in PMI standards? Do you have a tilte or is it a General comment.

Thank you in advance.

With kind regards,

Samer
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
I don’t really use shorthand for this -I just tend to over-write the dates, durations, etc fields on the printed schedule.
If an activity has progressed exactly as planned, i do use a tick mark which I suppose counts as shorthand.

I’m not aware of any standardised shorthand notations, I’m afraid.

Cheers,

G
Chris Gibbons
Thanks for your responses. I was referring to doing face to face updates and marking up a copy of the schedule. We were discussing this in the office and talking of standardising our comments ie. +2W and NP - no progress.
Before we did that I thought it might be a good idea to see if there was already a universal one in use.
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 21 hours 54 min ago. Offline
Christopher

You should look at the specific glossary in the documentation of your software and books related to it, each has a vocabulary of their own and use different acronyms. For specific software TF might mean Total Float while for other software it means nothing as they might use other term such as Slack.

I believe the PMI has its own, but might differ to some software that uses other terminology, unless prostituted as to accept anything, don’t know as I rarely use it. You might be better off by making and distributing your own glossary as to also include terms not in you software but relevant to your communication.

For my updates I receive limited comments as I am not responsible to prepare the narrative for the update. I still include a column for any comment where space is limited and some sort of shorthand is used. Here I receive comments such as, activity deleted from contract, directive issued to stop work on this activity, why this activity shows negative float, why LF before EF and many others. At times these comments are to be included into the text field of the software, Suretrak and P3 space is limited, and shorthand is useful here. If you use Earned Value you might get thousands of acronyms (well to me is like thousands).

By the way, welcome to the PP Community .

Best regards,
Rafael
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
...or if you’re doing face to face updates, just mark up a copy of the schedule

Cheers,

G
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Christopher

I am assuming that you are referring to progress updates from section managers.

If so you don’t need any form of note taking.

Give each manager an excell pro forma with the chart activities and a column for progress - then - after careful review - copy paste the results into your chart.

Best regards

Mike Testro.