Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

graphing software

No replies
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
Good morning

I have several KPIs to follow in my schedule for a refinery maintenance shutdown, about 100 in all.
I have already designed the baseline and output files so that I can get the raw data from P3. During my last stop I issued these output files but some of my co-ordinators want a more visual tool, so I am trying to design a graphical presentation for them. This will be updated daily so it needs to be push-button. It will be in the form of one curve per KPI, grouped by Scopetype around a central "overall progress" curve for the scopetype. So, for example, Heat exchangers will get one page with 11 separate curves for;

-Blinding
-Dismanting
-Pull Bundle
-Internal Cleaning
-Bundle cleaning
-Inspections to parts and Bundles
-Repairs called out and executed
-Bundles installed
-Pressure tests completed
-Deblinding
-Progress overall

Progress overall will be based on resources, the rest will be based on numbers of activities completed.

I have previously used Excel to layout the curves, but the setup takes ages and changes in the baseline or uncovered mistakes in the activity coding can mean major maintenance work to the file during the execution, which is a pita. I have considered using access, but I have limited knowledge and it would take me longer to work out than just plugging through Excel, at least in the short term

so, I’m looking for a graphing package that will take the data output (CSV file) and display the KPI graphs separately for me. As I said, there are about 100 in all and most are only active for a short period during the stop, handing over to the next KPI in line (for example valves removed followed by valves at the overhaul shop)

Many thanks