Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Measuring progress for fitting-out works.

6 replies [Last post]
Ronn Chester Baluyot
User offline. Last seen 8 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Our company will be the main contractor fitting-out works.
It will also include MEP installation but we will hire subcontractors for these. We will have a master programme that includes all the trades. Since different trades will be involve (interior works, MEP, IT installation works), what will be the best method to monitor & measure the overall progress on the project?

Replies

Larry Bjorn
User offline. Last seen 11 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
If you can, keep it simple. Measure ‘Actual duration % complete’ Vs ‘Planned duration % complete’ and support progress report with S-Curves.
If your programme is detailed, this will be an effective and easily understood way of reporting progress.

Besides overall % complete, I would break it down further; e.g. progress on key work fronts, progress on key activities, etc.
Hemanth Kumar
User offline. Last seen 42 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Prefered to have separete progress reports
A.Finished Interiors -What U See After finishing The Project
1.Joinery
2.Marble/stone
3.carpet Curtains
B.Sub Structure Works - What u Dont See After Finishing the project
1.A/C
2.Plumbing Etc

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 54 min ago. Offline
Ronn,

You can use Budgeted Costs and/or Budgeted Man-hours as your measure(s) of progress, if you want to track performance against these values then you can extend your reporting to include Earned Value.

To measure your progress you will only need your budget values and your values for physical % complete.

To apply Earned Value, in addition to your budgets you will need actual expenditure for cost and/or man-hours.

http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/docs/earned-value.pdf

http://www.hyperthot.com/pm_cscs.htm

For your knowledge, we do not use Earned Value, as General Contractors we get the cost data from our Job Costing Module which is an integral part of our Accounting Software. From this we get more information, confidential information we do not share. We find Earned Value for our needs a waste of time while others will die for it.

Earned Value is of particular interest for some Owners; it might or might not be your case, in rare ocassions it might even be a contractual requirement, this you got to find out by yourself, if you are not sure then ask.

Best regards,
Rafael Davila

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Ronn,

You can different parameters. Bascially, you can use a weighted average for the scope, cost and time for each contractor.

Say that you have 3 contractors and the value of each is 10, 20, and 30M. At the end of month 1, they completed 5, 6, and 7% of their Scope. They invoiced 2, 3, 4 % of their amounts. They completed 10, 15, and 18% of their time.

The overall weighted average for the scope, time and cost of the project will be the complete percentage by the weighted of each (10/10+20+30), (20/10+20+30) and (30/10+20+30).

This is one way to do it, I am sure that you will get more idead from pp members.

With kind regards,

Samer
Ronn Chester Baluyot
User offline. Last seen 8 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for the response Samer.
I have the activities & duration in the programme. Since I need to make a progress report each week, I need to show how many percent of the works were completed for each week. But my problem is, since it will involve different trades, how will i measure it as a whole?
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Ronn,

It depens on the duration of the fit out period. But the essence is to have a Program of Work that include all the activities, durations, and resources needed. You will need ground support to know all the detail.

It is best to have one person responsible for each contractor, that is, if your Project Manager can afford the expenses.

The most important issue that you will need to handle is the coordination and cooperation between contractors. So you need to pick contractor who worked together in the past, if possible.

Good luck,

Samer