Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Baseline Programme Under NEC Contract

27 replies [Last post]
Shahzad Sikandar
User offline. Last seen 5 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
hi all

which programme as baseline, the contract should use against current programme to compare.

right me if i am wrong,
every time the contrator submit the revised updated programme it becomes the new baseline (is that right under NEC Contract)?

or contrator is obliged to use the very first contract programme as a baseline programme for comparision right the until the end of the job i-e planned completion date?

please advise

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 50 min ago. Offline
Yes Andrew,

We even have tried to push for some legislation as for our agencies to adopt a single type of contract for Lump Sum Contracts; no agreement whatsoever. Of course Unit Price Contract used for roads is a separate issue.

But we learn many good things from each other.

One of our common practices in CPM specs is to specify ownership of float to whoever reaches it first; I believe it should be left opened in purpose, to be spelled loud and clear that float ownership should be evaluated on the merits of each case, pre-allocation of float I believe it to be wrong; some procedure to better handle/negotiate this issue must be pursued.

I believe in the UK it is common practice not to allocate ownership of float, if this is the case you should even spell it out loud and clear it is not by omission but on purpose.

Best regards,
Rafael

Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Rafael,

Sounds like the same sort of unruly collection we have in the UK.

Currently doing some work for a large American contractor on a project in the Middle East, so the American way of doing things is quite a current topic of conversation for me at the moment.
Rafael Davila
Andrew,

We are used to work under many different contracts, for government contracting we have versions at the federal level, usually GSA/General Service Administration, at the State Level at home we have a different contract from every agency such as The Public Buildings Authority, The Aqueducts and Sewers Authority and The Department of Transportation (a Unit Price Contract), among others. For private contracts we have the AIA Standard form of Agreement, from the American Institute of Architects, we have the AGC Standard form of Agreement from the Associated General Contractors of America and the hundred of variations individual lawyers might imagine, some in Spanish, some in English. Some are good some not so good, in my opinion some leaning too much on one side.

In relation to our concept of Contractual Baselines I was expecting better from the NEC, good to know, thanks again for your clarifications. Maybe someday I will grasp a full copy of the agreement including the General Conditions and Comments, always something good comes out of these, of value when negotiating private agreement clauses.

Cordially,
Rafael
Andrew Flowerdew
Rafael,

The NEC is just one of many relatively new standard forms in the UK but is used in other countries as well.

It’s not really a difference between the UK and USA, just one contract that currently does things alittle different from the others.

As the saying goes on this site, read the contract, everyone of them is different from the rest in some way.
Rafael Davila
Well Andrew

We have a different definition for Latest Accepted programme or what we call Contract Baseline, different from Latest Update.

Here the latest accepted preogramme becomes the Contract Baseline, the updates are interpreted as a depiction of actual statues not as a contract change.

The updates are used for delay evaluation not to change contract terms. To us is always relevant to know and compare actual reality to contractual conditions. At least our contracts say "time is of essence."

Well is good to know the difference between UK and USA contractual conditions. Thanks for your clarification.

Cordially,
Rafael

Andrew Flowerdew
Rafael,

Nice try but read the NEC2 contract:

11(14) The Accepted programme is the programme identified in the Contact Data or is the latest programme accepted by the Project Manager. The latest programme accepted by the Project Manger supersedes previous Accepted programme.

Express and clear unambiguous language that only the latest progamme has any relevance under this contract. The first programme or "Baseline" to give it its traditional name no longer has relevance after the next programme has been accepted. Although this all assumes that the contract is actually followed properly.

Another programme is usually submitted for acceptance as a minimum once a month. (it’s stated in the contract as to how often a new programme has to be submitted as a minimum).
Rafael Davila
Andrew,

Which baseline to use as a comparison to analyze delays? Seems like a consensus, the latest update prior to delay event, or even better an update to a data date just to the beginning of impact.

I understand the NEC does not pretend to substitute other contract documents such as the specifications. I like the idea of leaving the details to other documents to allow flexibility while at the same time placing due order at a contract location where it takes precedence. CPM is not required or justified for all contracts. Always forward looking, agree 100%.

Usually under the specs is where you find the definition (or lack of it) for Contractual Baselines. When defined it is relevant to know, it has a legal meaning, when required it can create defacto change orders, it is the comparison base for your updates, keeps focus ont the contract dates and milestones. At home it is relevant to be aware of the differences, is the common practice to define Contractual Baselines under our CPM specs. Whether it is useful or not, or just adding confusion is another issue.

As a Contractor I would like the Owner to forget about contract time, let me do whatever pleases me without any penalty and just use the latest update schedule to justify my delay claims.

http://www.ronwinterconsulting.com/rabaseline.htm

or as an example

http://www.virginiadot.org/business/resources/Post-Award_Construction_Sc...

Seems like my returning of a low blow got you in the middle, it was not intended for you, sorry. My testimonial about Contractual Baselines, when defined by the specs is in no way in conflict to your statement about which baseline to use as a comparison for delay analysis.

Cordially,
Rafael

Andrew Flowerdew
Rafeal,

Forgot to say, the concept doesn’t stop you having a recovery plan - just that the recovery plan is derived from the latest approved update programme, which as this programme should reflect accurately the actual state of the site, is the place a recovery plan should be derived from in any case.

All the NEC contract does is to contractually oblige the parties to actually use good planning practice in the management of the project.

Sadly as the saying goes, you can take a horse to water but you can’t make him drink! It should, but it sadly doesn’t always have the intended affect.
Andrew Flowerdew
Rafeal,

No the NEC contract doesn’t use the traditional Baseline concept at all, except on day one for the first submitted and approved programme, (which in conventional language is the Baseline). After that it uses approved updates ONLY, the original "Baseline" programme is irrelevant.

The impact of changes is forecast prospectively against the approved update programme. ie, if done properly, real time assessments measured against a programme that accurately reflects the state of the project at the time the change happened.

Time and money elements of the change are priced prospectively, EoT agreed, (if applicable), based on the agreed PREDICTION of the impact and then you get on and do it. Even if later found to be wrong, the price and EoT stands in 99% of circumstances.

So for both contractor and employer, sometimes they will win, sometimes they will lose, you could say it just reflects the same general risk of being in business.

The NEC has its faults but it obliges parties to agree things as they go along, (dispute reduction and increased price certainty), and up’s the standard of planning/programming required by a 1000% over other standard forms - so in those respects I can’t knock it. Other standard forms should maybe think about following suit and certainly some are at least using parts of the NEC concepts now.

Rafael Davila
Mike,

Does it means in the UK you do not use the concept of Recovery Schedules to be converted into the new Revised Contract Baseline Schedule upon acceptance?

If the updated schedule becomes the new baseline then against what do you compare the updated schedule, against itself? I like the idea, very convenient, in the narrative to be submitted with the schedule update you only have to state that the update is in 100% full agreement with the Baseline.

Best regards,
Rafael

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Hi Rafael

Thank you for the feed back and your interpretation.

If pressed I would rather follow Andrew’s advice.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
Mike,

I had never worked under a NEC Contract but by speed reading of it under the following link I got the understanding of what Gary said is correct. Regarding to Scheduling issues I interpreted it as similar to the norm on this side of the Atlantic. Forward Looking preferred over Backward Looking methods.

http://www.jrconsultant.co.uk/necintro.htm#WHYNEW

Best regards,
Rafael

Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

Just as a point of interest - have you ever worked under a NEC form of contract?

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
Shahzad

You have essentially two types of baselines:

1. Contractual Baselines: tied to contract milestone dates, accepting changes in these have contractual implications.

2. Comparison Baselines: usually updated schedules used for time impact analysis, these do not represent changes in the contractual baselines per-se.

I usually name my baseline with an adequate prefix as to distinguish among the two. BL00 for initial baseline, BL01, BL02 ... for contractually revised and accepted baselines and TI01 for Time Impact Analysis TI01, TI02, TI03 ...

What Gary expressed under his posting no 10 I would follow word by word, letter by letter. The Owner and well as the Contractor have a right to know on time. If you wait too much then it will become a forensic issue, and that is a mess.

Cordially,
Rafael

Andrew Flowerdew
Oliver,

True, but is earned value mentioned in an NEC contract? - very useful thing to do to monitor progress/money but not a requirement of the NEC.

The NEC is about sorting things as you go, a quotation for a CE is like a mini tender, prospective, some you will win, some you will lose, but price it, (time and money), agree it and move on. No retrospective disputes theoretically, (Yeh!!!!).

As for programming - keep an up-todate and accurate programme that reflects what’s actually going on and remains a meaningful management tool.
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Without a baseline there is no meaningful earned value though.
Andrew Flowerdew
And further:

NEC doesn’t use the concept of a Baseline programme for measuring project performance. The first Accepted programme is the Baseline but then it recognises that things change and so should the programme if it is to remain of any use.

So when there’s a change, (and not just a CE), the programme is updated and the updated programme becomes the new Accepted programme replacing the last one. The "Baseline" or previous Accepted programme is then completely irrelevent, forgotten about, copy kept but otherwise binned.

And so on and so on for each and every change that occurs.
Andrew Flowerdew
All,

Clear up a bit of confusion here:

Updating a programme for a CE:

You take the current "Accepted programme", (assuming there is one), update it for progress to the start date of the CE, (data date of update), and then impact the CE event. (TIA applied prospectively)

Gary,

Brought a smile to my face - when it works, it works well. When it doesn’t, it’s a potential nightmare. So true.
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
I also qualify the below with a lack of contract expertise:

Under NEC, the asesment of compensation events is based on predicted and not retrospective results.

The latest accepted current plan is effectively the new baseline against which impact of all new CEs are analysed.

Because total float is available to accomodate both poor contractor progress and any CEs (whoever gets there first), the NEC philosophy is that it the only delays that are contractually relevant are those that exceed the available float, and are hence CEs.

It relies heavily on an extremely transparent relationship between client & contractor, whith frequent (daily, or at least weekly) updates to the plan so true effect of CEs can be understood.

When it works, it has some real benefits -no reptrospective (and hence highly subjective)assesment of EOTs, no comparing current programme to an original baseline that may bear no relation to how the work is now being done, no working on a project with pending EOT claims without knowing what your contractual completion date actually is, etc

When it fails, it can be a nightmare -If the client doesn’t have the resources to fully analyse & accept each update within the period for reply it’s easy for the contractor to sneak in a bit of massaged future works to minimise delay penalties or maximise additional time allowances. If updates are not frequent enough you can get into difficulties assesing which delays came first and hence just eat up float, and which are genuine CEs.

Cheers,

G
Oliver Melling
Im a fan of the bland.

Wish there was just one set of forms DICTATED by national government.
Mike Testro
Hi Oliver.

Don’t ask me - I havent a clue.

Its a classic case of the bland leading the bland.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Oliver Melling
I admit my contract knowledge is not great either.

I can see why updating the latest updated programme for a retrospective EoT would make sense.

But doing this for a compensation event, you would have to update the last accepted current plan, to show the impact of the CE, but then you couldnt use it as the new baseline as the actuals peformance would negate any current delays, so how would you then insert the fragnet into the original baseline and still get the scheduled end-date to equal the newly agreed contractual delivery date (i.e. the date from the last accepted current plan + CE)?!
Mike Testro
Hi Oliver

I agree with you - but then again I bow to Andrew’s knowledge of contract administration.

maybe both should be done thus comparing actual with conractual.

Between you and me I have yet to get involved in a NEC contract.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Oliver Melling
Mike,

Talking about adding CE under NEC forms, Mr.Flowerdew mentioned that the fragnet should be inserted into the last accepted programme (i.e one that includes actual performance).

I dont have the NEC forms so i cant read the clauses, do you agree this is the case? I would have thought inserting the change into the current agreed baseline schedule would make more sense.
Mike Testro
Hi Shahzad

The point of the NEC suite of programmes is that time is managed against changes.

The CA requests a change and the contractor must submit his proposals for time and money.

If the change request is accepted then the new programme sets the future progress.

Also if the Contractor is way behind time the CA may request a revised programme.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Tarek Barham
User offline. Last seen 5 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
I think you have to keep one baseline for any project, if you considered every previous update as base line for the successor plan, so what is the point from making baseline.

Baseline means reference point.

You have the right to change the base line if there is any acceleration or change order in the contract, other wise the base line shall be frozen till the project completion date.

Thanks;
Tarek Barham
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Shahzad,

You compare your updated schedule to the approved schedule by the Engineer.

With kind regrds,

Samer