Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Labour Planning Overview

4 replies [Last post]
Ian Perrins
User offline. Last seen 14 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Planners,

I’m using P5 and I’m trying to plot out our (architectural)Labour Resources against our projects in a manner that would allow us to, at a glance, see who’s doing what until when and when they are freed up to move to other projects. This would be updated each month as the projects progress. I’ve tried a couple of options - putting in the project as a WBS with the various stages (Concept Design, Preliminary Design, Detail Design etc) as activities with the staff member(s) assigned as a resource to each activity (stage of work). Now I’m trying it ’the other way around’ by making the project the WBS, with each staff member as an activity underneath, giving them a duration (time committed to the project), but neither of these quite addresses our needs.

We want to be able to have an overview of our labour resource allocation.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Regards

Ian Perrins

Replies

Khaled Charkie
User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline
This is may be a solution for your problem if I have understood it correctly:
1- Open alle the projects where you have assigned resources
2- Go to Group and Sort and then choose resource IDs to make the grouping.

Ian,
Excel is not the proper tool - it is too hard to synchronize schedule changes with Excel.
I hope that you will receive satisfactory answer in PM5/PM6 discussion. If no, you can try Spider Project that is much more powerful in resource planning.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Ian Perrins
User offline. Last seen 14 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Vladimir,

Thanks for the response. I figured this was the right topic forum, but if not, I will add it under the one you suggested.

I have tried doing it in P5/6 but the result was not ideal so I did it in Xcel. Was just hoping to get more out of our P5/6.

Regards
Ian
Ian,
why do you ask this question in this thread instead of PM5/PM6 discussion?
Your question has very simple answer if to use Spider Project (just open Resource Gantt), but you need PM5 advice, isn’t it?
Best Regards,
Vladimir