Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Total float calculation in P5

4 replies [Last post]
Iftikhar Awan P.Eng.
User offline. Last seen 6 years 10 hours ago. Offline
P5 has an option to calculate total float as either ’finish float’ or ’start float’ or the minimum of these two. I thought they were always same. No?

Replies

Iftikhar Awan P.Eng.
Correction to last post: The publication ID is 415-1-4.
Iftikhar Awan P.Eng.
Here is the answer that I got from US Army Corps of Engineers website (publication# EP 415-1-5 (link is provided below):

"In the Precedence diagramming system, if start to start or finish to finish lags are used, it is possible for the total float on the start and finish of an activity to differ. In such an instance the start float may be more critical (smaller) than the finish float or vice versa."

www.usace.army.mil/usace-docs/eng-pamphlets/ep415-1-4/c-3.pdf

There is an example network schedule provided that explains the above.

Happy reading!
Iftikhar Awan P.Eng.
This statement seems to be applicable to a group of activities under a summary group, because Primavera does show total float value for a summary group. I am not sure however if the P5 setting is applicable to summary groups only or to individual activities also.

I am doing a literature review at this time because I do remember seeing the terms ’start float’ and ’finish float’ somewhere.
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Even I thought they are same, but check this out from p6 help menu:

If you base float on start dates, and all activities are assigned to the same calendar, total float is the difference between the earliest late start and the earliest early start dates in workperiods. For finish dates, the Project Management module uses the latest late finish and the latest early finish dates to calculate total float. The most critical float is the lowest total float encountered in the detailed activities from each summary group.