Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 - rebaselining

12 replies [Last post]
Cristina Blades
User offline. Last seen 3 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Could anyone please tell me the steps for rebaselining in P3? Bullet points would be fine, if that’s ok with you.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Cristina

Replies

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Daniel,

I think it is not necessarily need to be equal, the thing is, the original plan is figured to become late, that’s why Cristina (CB) need to rebaseline. She got actuals up to a certain cut-off date, whatever it is (assuming that it is lower than the original forecast). Anyway that would not matter anymore as you will consider everything as actual before that certain cut-off date (data date).

Key milestones that were not achieved before the cut-off date need to be re-scheduled. This is where the original floats will play - if you got any, otherwise going beyond the Contract Completion Date is expected.

cheers!
Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
In addition to what Anoon has said, You need to make sure that your plan is equal to your actuals up to the cut-off date and also you need to take into consideration your contractual obligations (Key dates and Milestone dates)stipulated under your contract.

Best regards,
Daniel
Cristina Blades
Anoon,

Thanks again for your reply. I agree with what you’re saying. Very useful.

Thanks for your time!

Regards,
Cristina
mch 714
User offline. Last seen 10 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
I think to baseline program is based contract condition of the project. no actual activity in progress. if appear actual activity and move data date line,that will must be updated program. updated will be appeared delay or early finished to be difference than contract condition.
Anoon Iimos
Hi Cristina,

Points 4 and 5 are where the schedule would be coming from and that would be your current/working schedule. I said for example: you had progressed your current schedule up to say end of September and you got a corresponding percent progress, say 10%, that would be the point where you are going to start your re-baselining (Data Date: 30Sep**; Actual Progress = 10%). All data to the left of the status date (data date) were actuals and all data to the right would be your new Planned Data, which means that you will be rebaselining the remaining works only (what’s the point of rebaselining actuals anyway?).

Once you have done it, save a copy and make it as the new Target.

cheers!
Cristina Blades
Thank you, Anoon,

I will keep in mind all the steps. I will probably give it a go myself, even though there might not be a requirement at this moment in time, but just to see where it takes me.

I was thinking among the same lines as you, but I needed a double check.

Though I have a query...For point no. 5, when you say ’you need to fix it, eg. 10% up to end of September’...what exactly do you mean and HOW do you fix it?

Thanks again,
Cristina
Anoon Iimos
Hi CB,

This is not easy. I believe you really mean rebaselining which means you have to repeat your Planning.

1. you need to fix a certain data date (this has to be agreed with the concerned parties)
2. calculate the equivalent progress (actual progress) up to the agreed data date.
3. back-up all your files (this has to be done 1st)- original baseline; current schedule.
4. your current/working schedule that you had progressed up to a certain data date would be your next baseline or target.
5. you need to fix it, eg. 10% up to end of September.
6. now you need to run the schedule to see if where the remaining 90% would end, meaning that you’ll be getting new Planned Dates (remember, you are still working on your current schedule).
7. once you have done items 5 & 6, make copies (back-up)of the schedule.
8. now I believe that you got your new Target (Baseline).
9. S-curves (early and late) can be derived from your new Target.
10. Please tell me if i’m wrong and why?(anyway, this is free).

cheers
Cristina Blades
Jackie,

Thanks for your reply...

Could it be THAT easy? I thought about that, but just wanted to double check with you, guys, here on the forum...as I have actuals, % complete, etc...(the project is in progress)...How do I have to deal with them? And then, after rebaselining, how do I run my reports for building NEW ’S-Curves’ from a specific Data Date? Is it just the usual reports I run for the initial ’baseline’?

Thank you
Cristina Blades
Anoon,

Thank you for replying...So here it goes:

1. why you need to re-baseline?
Because one of the phases of work has been delayed / postponed due to authorisations not in place yet...I was thinking of either rebaseline (re-target) only that phase, but the project manager might want the whole project rebaselined.
2. if not required (by the management or the client), then you don’t have to do it.
As I said above, he did indicate that we MIGHT have to rebaseline it.
3. is the project in progress?
The project is in progress, the phase that has been delayed isn’t, but let’s assume I will be rebaselining the whole project (which is in progress - the worst case scenario).
4. if the project is not started yet, then your Plan on hand may still be valid.
Correct...but unfortunately not the case here...
5. if the project is in progress, you need to consider actuals up to a certain data date.
Correct, I would say, actuals to the end of October...or September...That’s why I asked the question here, on the forum, as I thought it might need a lot of consideration, and maybe someone could just point out the things I need to take care of and how.
6. are you going to maintain the contract completion date or just run the schedule and see if where it ends?
In this case (this particular project), it is not our fault that the delay has occured, so it will just finish when it finishes...:)

Thanks again for your assistance.

Anoon Iimos
Cristina,

I believe there is no such term as rebaselining in P3, they call it Target, so you do "retargeting"

cheers
Jackie Gilliland
User offline. Last seen 13 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Cristina

The physical steps for rebaseling in P3 is:

1. Save a copy of the file you want to set as your baseline.
2. In your current schedule set this copy as your baseline.

Trust this helps

Jackie
Anoon Iimos
1. why you need to re-baseline?
2. if not required (by the management or the client), then you don’t have to do it.
3. is the project in progress?
4. if the project is not started yet, then your Plan on hand may still be valid.
5. if the project is in progress, you need to consider actuals up to a certain data date.
6. are you going to maintain the contract completion date or just run the schedule and see if where it ends?

please provide more info/details.