Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Using the Contingency reserve

4 replies [Last post]
Sam Onumah
User offline. Last seen 9 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
After spreading the manhours among the various work packages I was still left with some reserve manhours which I kept in the contingency reserve.

I linked the predecessor of the reserve to the start milestone of the one of the work packages and the successor to the finish milestone of the project.

In this case when the work packages are being progressed the is also being progressed.

I am wondering if this is the right way to do it.

Replies

Sam Onumah
Mike,
Thanks. That is very helpful.
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Sam

It is just an activity bar that is set up for the same duration as the available float.

It is linked between the programmed end date and the contract completion date.

There has been a recent thread on this subject which will give you more details.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Sam Onumah
Hi Mike

This reserve has both labor hours and material quantity. It also has some float.
Do you have any document which shows how to build the time contingency risk bar?

Thanks.
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Sam

Do you have a time contingency as well as a resource contingency?

In other words is there any spare float in the work package programmes.

Can this float be collected to the end of the work?

If so create a time contingency risk bar to take up the foat and load your surplus hours into the time risk bar.

Only adjust the risk bar for contractor delays and it will be the last activity to get progressed.

I hope this helps.

Best regards

Mike Testro