Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

how to make a forecast curve?

15 replies [Last post]
jeoffrey reyes
User offline. Last seen 3 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
our client wanted to include a forecast curve on my progress curve in spreadsheet. what are the considerations can i make for making such curve in spreadsheet?

regards,

jeff

Replies

syed husaini
User offline. Last seen 7 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

How can I adjust my forecast curve. if you have any exmaple to please provide 

Thanks

jeff hadjail
User offline. Last seen 3 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
hi jeff reyes,

You know,arnold and anoon are right with regards to that reporting in comparing the current schedule vs planned scheduled which includes the earned cost and the manhours and the real billing...i guess we have the same procedure in reporting the forecasts im also new with this works...but mine project activities are more on electro-mechanical for 4 star hotel with a 34 floors.

with this,its a big help when we help each other...thank you and more power guys...
jeffh
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
i believe another problem you’ll be having is during the reporting, how to explain it to the audience, remember not all of them are planners, just make sure you got all the back-ups (and you can handle stress).

no, i’m somewhere around, been there also (ingat lang).
jeoffrey reyes
thanks, Anoon. very well said. actually, i’ve been having this problem since i handled this project. and because i have so much assigments in field and office, i cannot rectify some problems all at the same time. luckily, you’re here guys whose always watching the pplanet for those who were at need. you’re in our country right now, Anoon?

i am really grateful having this pplanet exists. so many brilliant and crazy idea(s) you can find here.

Arnold, i have sent already the files. please advise if you can do something with it.
Anoon Iimos
Jeff,

Try to check and compare your Target (Planned - Original Schedule), which has the original forecast (early curve as you said), but remember you also have your late curve on the same schedule which can originally be used as forecast as well.

Now you have your Current/Updated Schedule, (Arnold is right), forget about all the original forecasts that you had derived from your Baseline or Target Plan (just keep the records). Your new forecasts now are to be reckoned from your Current/Updated Schedule, which can either be late or early.

From there, you can now establish the comparisons (Planned vs.Actual Forecasts), just make sure you labeled your curves correctly (you can do this in excel).

By the way you guys have plenty of time PP..ing while working?

regards
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Jeff,

Yap, I’ve been working for 7 years in Saudi Arabia before I transfer to Abu-Dhabi. I worked for SAUDI ARAMCO Project for 5 years & 2 years in RC Jubail Project. If you don’t mind, can you send me your Files both Excel & Primavera, I can help you on this. I know the format of RC Project that they are using. If it is okey for you, I know you’re Filipino, me too.

My email is p3-fer@sixco.ae

Regards,

Arnold
jeoffrey reyes
yes Arnold, your wild guess really shocked me. how did you know? have you been here also in jubail and worked in Royal Commission? Maybe RC is the only one who asks for forecast curve? in other clients or ours, no need for forecast curve. currently, almost all of the projects were assigned to me. big headache, really, because even the preliminaries on our tender department were all assigned to me.

when i got here, the schedule was already existing. the forecast curve as i said was under the early curve. i tried what Anoon said but still the curve went under. is there a problem on resources loading? or is there something else? same thru with cost curve.

Anoon, really appreciate your advise. thanks.

regards,

jeff
Arnold Puy

Yes, you are right Anoon. I’m just trying to explain to Jeff why his forecast went under the early curve.

regards
Anoon Iimos
Arnold,

I agree with what you said (but not only in P6), Forecast can be early and late as well. Forecast of the remaining works from your current/updated schedule (which has early and late curves also).

regards
Arnold Puy
Hi Jeff,

In your Progress Curve there should be Four Curves:

1. Early Curve
2. Actual Curve
3. Late Curve
4. Forecast Curve

These Four curves above came from your Primavera Files. The Early Curve is your Target/Baseline Curve. Actual is the current/update schedule. Late Curve is your late Planned & Forecast is your Planned for the next update of remaining activities.

Now, to get your forecast it depends on your lookahead schedule. In P6 this is your Remaining Early Curve based on current schedule & not based in your baseline schedule.

Now, if you are using P3x you can export this data from P3 to excel by using Tools --> Tabular Reports --> Resource --> Tabular, depending in your resources.

If you have your forecast curve went under your early curve, I assumed that is not forecast, that is late curve. However, if that value is correct then you might have to double check with your CM.

Forecast curve always starts from your data date because this is the starting point for schedule calculation of remaining activities.

Jeff, are you working with Jubail Royal Commission Project & the PM Consultant is BECHTEL?

HTH.

Arnold
Anoon Iimos
read more and practise more
jeoffrey reyes
will i add the early and late planned data to get the forecast data?

regards,

jeff
jeoffrey reyes
thanks guys. i tried it today...but is it normal that forecast curve will go under the early curve? because i am expecting that it will be above the early curve.

regards,

jeff
Arnold Puy
Hi Jeff,

In addition to what Mr. Anoon’s post, you can export all the datas & values from your P3, P5 or P6 to Excel. Based on that Planned Values (Early or Late) you have consider in your schedule. By adding these Planned Values you can now produce & create the forecast curve to your Progress Report.

Anoon Iimos
a forecast curve is a planned curve, create your curve using planned data.