Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planning blocks of flats/bedrooms (multiple units)

1 reply [Last post]
Matt Wells
User offline. Last seen 14 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Does anyone have any experience of planning these types of projects?

At present I am using Asta Powerproject to generate a sequence prorgamme and copying to excel spreadsheets to monitor progress.
This approach is difficult to manage and unscientific as it doesn’t consider trade continuity and is therefore prone to failure.

Does anyone use any dedicated ’line of balance’ software that they can recommend or any other method of planning the finishes of each flat/bedroom? Your help would be most appreciated.

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Matt

Yes I have a lot of experience in these types of projects.

In powerproject you can cut and paste between your chart spreadsheet and excell (I prefer Lotus 123).

I don’t know how your programme is set up but you probably have construction tasks under under summary bars.

You need to filter on Tasks. To do this create a filter and on the first screen select just tasks and milestones and go straight to finish. At the beginning make sure you tick the right boxes so that the summary bars do not appear in the filter.

In the chart spreadsheet add a column for percent complete.

Copy and paste these chart columns to your spreadsheet.

Add the percentages.

Copy paste back to the bar chart and your progress is updated.

Make sure that:

1. You save the programme to the new progress date - YY-MM-DD format so that it will be in the correct order in your windows view.
2. Set your progress drop down line to the progress date.
3. Set the line to be straight - NOT JAGGED - as this will give you the true progress effect.

Regarding line of balance software I use gaphisoft which is very good.

A similar effect can be replicated in PowerProject using task per line mode but you cannot copy paste into this format.

If you need any more help keep in touch.

Best reagrds

Mike Testro.