Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

’S’ curve form P5 to Excel query

4 replies [Last post]
Glenn Douglas
User offline. Last seen 1 year 40 weeks ago. Offline
Any ideas?
The ’S’ curve i’m trying to create is still giving me some problems.
All I want is cumulative resourse over the duration.
I created a report with a filter than picked up all the resourse codes and then put it into Excel, however all the data has come out as days (e.g. 5.0d) I can’t seem to change the format to read just a number so that I can total all the resourse for any given day (and so on).

Am I collecting the correct data in the first place or can I change the format in excel?

Any help would be appreciated.
Glenn

Replies

John Cornish
User offline. Last seen 10 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Dieter,

Thanks for your reply and I understand the need to export data for reference at a later date.

Micro Planner X-Pert has a Master Archive in which the project plan is baselined and also an Interim Archive for storing and comparing interim results or "what if" scenario plans. This keeps the data within the package and no need to export to spreadsheets for EV reports and "S" curve reports.

However if for security (or audit)reasons one had to revisit old reports then Micro Planner can export in .xml format. Or simply archive the project file with a new name and file data.

Micro Planner has an in-built "Report Wizard" that can be used to layout customised reports that can be saved and re-used throughout the project’s life and therefore offer the consistency in reporting that you mentioned.

All offered in a constructive way to reduce the drudgery and reduce the time taken to manage the application, instead of time that is better spent on managing the project itself.

As project managers we need to recognise the total cost of owning and using our software tools and work to reducing this overhead cost wherever we can.

I wish you well.

John

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 days ago. Offline
Hi John
As you know, P6 can produce S-curves and has EV capabilities as well. The reason for exports is different. Rather frequently you find situations, where certain layouts are agreed. If you’ll modify the tinyest detail, this will be recognized and the contents doubted. So it’s easier to export and to contunue with absolutely the same layout, produced with the same software as usual.
Regards
Dieter
John Cornish
User offline. Last seen 10 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Dieter,

Micro Planner X-Pert has EV capability; including "S" Curves.
All computations done within the application with no need to export data to other applications.

Let me know if you need more on this.

Cheers
John
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Glenn
You’ll create a report out of the group activity resource assignments and with "time distributed data" switched on. Then group by "Ressource ID name", "show sumaries only"; --> Timescale: by days or by months, --> Time interval fields: Planned units, actual units, at completion units (check if single or cumulative values fit better) --> Create ASCII file
This should work.
Regards
Dieter