Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

EVM Software

7 replies [Last post]
Darren Kosa
User offline. Last seen 7 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
G’day

Does anybody out there have any experiences with EVM software?

Looking for something that integrates with MS Project and is nice and simple to use :)

Leaning towards Deltek winsight or Dekker iPursuit, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Darren

Replies

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Hi
convert to P6 ........

haha

EVMS need to associated with good planning platform. MSP is not built to do EVMS, thats y you need all thest additional tools to attach to it .....

Alex
matthew green
User offline. Last seen 9 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
I have spent the last 6 months throwing data around in Excel, MSP back out again through the hoop "what a waste of time".

The tool I now use is Deltek COBRA as I need to role up in several different structures at one time, some Deltek salesmen would try to sell Winsight as the option but we have been round the bouy several times on this and it can role up by different structures but not 2 or 3 at one time.

I suggest that for flexibility COBRA is the tool to use as it freely integrates with MSP directly through an integration wizard. It also can provide all CPR reports, S Curves etc....
Darren Kosa
Just had a another look at the DecisionEdge website and it supports MS Project 2002 - 2007, so I’ve kind of answered one of my own questions...
Darren Kosa
Hi chaps,

Thanks for the suggestions.

@Andrew
Excel is an option, but probably as a last resort. I know you can export EV data from MS Project, but I’m looking for something a little more flexible as I have neither the time, nor the inclination, to create and maintain a report set targeted at each individual stakeholder.

Would be interested to see what your add-in is like so I’ll send you an e-mail.

@Paul
DecisionEdge looks like it delivers a very comprehensive reporting suite and I’ve got a couple of questions you may be able to help me with.

1. It says in the technical FAQs you can use it with MS Project 2007, but is it compatible with MS Project 2003?

2. I’m looking for something that specifically measures and reports on EV, can you just purchase that element or do you have to pay for the whole application?

@ John
Unfortunately MS Project is the weapon of choice as it is the company standard and also compatible with our accounting system and main customers. After having a look at your website, it looks like Micro Planner X-Pert is a planning tool in its own right and something that I would probably have to use in conjunction. This would mean running two schedules effectively doubling the workload.

Regards,

Darren
John Cornish
User offline. Last seen 10 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys,

Micro Planner X-Pert has EV recording, computation and reporting all in the package. No need to export into spreadsheets, etc.
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline
DecisionEdge provides EV reports. www.decisionedge.com.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Darren,
If your only using MSP, then excel will be good.

Send me an e-mail to andrewtdick@hotmail.com and I’ll pass on another little thing that integrates with MSP to do project metrics and EV stuff.

Andy