Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Tools for WBS generation

9 replies [Last post]
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline
Good morning all,

I was wondering what tools you use for WBS generation on your projects. I have been considering trialling some mindmapping software as the visual style suits me and the hierachical structure seems to suit the discipline well. The tools I know of at the moment;

Excel; Of course we all use Excel for everything. Very flexible but I’m finding it a little overstructured for WBS layouts. I find it difficult to get an overview on the data.
Mindmapping Software; As I said above, seems to have a good hierachical style, while being visually scaleable and flexible. Freeware packages seem to suffer from lack of export options though.
Word; well, it’s Word ... what can’t it do?
Pen and paper; Keep it old school! The best probably for simple WBS structures that go deeper than they do wide. The structures I need to define will have rather too much width to deal with on one sheet of paper, beyond conceptualising levels
proprietary WBS generation software; I have no direct experience of these, but they look a bit like mindmapping packages written by accountants. If a package is going to be visual, it shouldn’t be so ugly. Probably has all the right output interfaces and organisational tools though. Perhaps I have overlooked the best ones?

The example I’m working on is the preparation effort for a maintenance shut down on an oil refinery and I need to maintain the top level structure handed down from the Head office bods. Anyone have any suggestions on software packages that they have used to write a complex WBS and the strengths / weaknesses of them?

Replies

Richard Day
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hey james have you heard of the program Vizio?

We are currently in the process of using it to create a generic WBS structure for our Projects.
Richard Day
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hey james have you heard of the program Vizio?

We are currently in the process of using it to create a generic WBS structure for our Projects.
John Cornish
User offline. Last seen 10 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi All,

To experience drawing a WBS like a family tree, or in outline mode try using Micro Planner X-Pert.

You can breakdown to 1,000 levels if you wanted to go for detailed WBS. The lowest levels can be selected and "switched" to activities, which you post to a sub-project.
Open up the sub-project to link the tasks into a PERT (Logic) Diagram - very visual and easy to follow with Activity on Arrow or Activity in Box.

Download a free version from www.microplanning.co.uk and give it a go.

John
Ronald Romero
User offline. Last seen 35 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi Paul,

I find MS project easy to make a WBS outline and importing it to P3 format. You can easily change the level just by indenting it. I have imported some schedule from ms project to P5 and i think it is easy to define WBS strcuture in MS project.

Cheers,

Ronald
Nar Thap
User offline. Last seen 15 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Paul,
Sorry for interrupting the thread.You have shown histograms and s-curve prepared out of Primavera V? in your article"The practical application of EVPM. Can you explain a bit how to prepare histograms and s-curves in Primavera format?
regards
Paul Harris
P2World is a software product designed to create a WBS or a PRINCE2 Product Breakdown Structure. A trial version may be downloaded from my web site.

The terminology may be switched for PRINCE2 to PMBOK compliant using Tools, Options, Models.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
James Barnes
Thanks for the advice...

Andrew,

I took a look at that affinity diagram thing... a quite interesting variation on traditional brainstorming techniques. I could certainly see using it to look at revamp projects within the overall turnaround and for high level scoping it could be very useful too. Might get a little messy for detailed decomposition though ... not sure I have a table big enough! I suppose the trick would be to form a high level one first then focus in on headers in turn.

Rav,

I thought P.Point was for dressing up lies for management consumption ;) really though, it’s a bit linear for WBS development isn’t it?

any other ideas / experience with specific WBS developement tools?
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
James,
You made mention of the ’Old School’ pen & paper.

This combined with the planning and scheduling software WBS code fields or method of display is the method I use to good effect.

The pens, a different colour for each trade group of discipline on the project, or, different colour ’Post It Notes.

Then using the ’Affinity Diagram’ method, collate all of the results into the WBS structure that will be used.

Once I have all of the WBS elements defined I generally create a series of spreadsheet in the old faithful excel, to try and get the project team to create a WBS dictionary, (Not with much success though, as they see this as a ’Planning’ oversight function).

As for your top level structure which you have been handed, once you’ve finished the first or second round of the Affinity process you could put this structure up as the groupings for the Affinity groups created.

That’s what happens in my world

Andy
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
MS Powerpoint!!