Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Merging projects

4 replies [Last post]
Manfredo Justiniano
User offline. Last seen 16 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi:

I am using P5 and I got two Projects:
Project A: Engineering & Procurement
and Project B: Construction & Commissioning
I want to merge both into Project A. The particular matter is that Both Projects are linked (have relationships between activities). So I want to keep the links. I had tried by copying and paste WBS (Project – WBS), but some links from Project A keep pointing Project B.
Is it possible to do it automatically or I have to fix it manually? I am talking about 10000 activities’ project.
Or maybe there is another way of merging it?

Regards,

Manfredo.

Replies

Manfredo Justiniano
Hi Dieter:

Ahmet Cetin, a member from www.primaveratools.com forum, give the tips to solve the problem and it’s to CUT & paste from WBS, and it will work excellent by updating all the links.

Concerning why I have to do it? it is a contract requirement that each X period I have to give a syncronize xer file "EP + CC", to the client.

Thanks for your advice.

Manfredo.
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Manfredo
it’s by design. I don’t know a way to remove the links while copying/moving in the WBS-view.

As for the monthly report the customer wouldn’t realize how many Primavera-projects you use. I never had a partner who refused this way of planning/scheduling. We do it for a better data exchange with e.g. engineering companies. In general they are not interested in the construction part of a project.

Regards
Dieter
Manfredo Justiniano
Dietrick:

Thanks for your answer.

Definitely the best way to do this, it is by the WBS option (copy and paste), but my problem is as follow, suppose the following links:

Link 1: File A – Activity 1 successor File B – Activity 2
Link 2: File B – Activity 3 predecessor File A – Activity 1

After merging, with copy and paste, Link 1 still remains.

And why I am merging the two projects? It is a Client requirement for the monthly report.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Manfredo.
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Manfredo
In the view WBS it is very easy to merge - as you did already I assume. Remaining links show that still some activities are in the old project. Maybe the most efficient way: Open view "Activities" --> Group by whatever, but not project or WBS --> add column WBS --> modify For the first activity to be moved --> fill down.
Be careful, dangerous command!
But why do you want to merge? If you’ll open both projects the same time, P5 will regard them as one graph - one project. Both better have the same data date. But you have the freedom to open just one part.
Regards
Dieter