Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project Baseline

17 replies [Last post]
Ife Olyke
User offline. Last seen 9 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Planners,

When would you "re-baseline" a project? Is there a rule of thumb?

Replies

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hey!

I believe that the intent of both (Recovery and Re-Baseline)are the same, to complete the Project in any way possible. In my opinion a Recovery Plan may sometimes include extension of time depending on the agreement of the concerned parties. Re-Baselining or Re-Benchmarking is being done to recover, so whatever it is, just make sure that the Contractor is capable of completing the project.

Don’t believe in me anyway, i’m just guessing!
Ashraf Jahangeer
User offline. Last seen 8 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ravi,

Just go by the meaning of RECOVERY for understanding Recovery Plan.

Regards,

Ashraf

A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

If the delays (In terms of duration) are from the contractor side and he expedites the work to complete the milestones, then it is called as recovery program.

But re-baseline program may include the delays incurred by the client till date and same need to be highlighted in the re-baseline. Ashraf - I think this may be also called as recovery program (?)

Cheers,

Raviraj A Bhedase
Ashraf Jahangeer
Hi Nieman,

Recovery plan is specifically asked by the Company in case they insist on the existing milestone, we do not call colloquially the revised baselne as recovery program.

Reagrds,

Ashraf
Richard Spedding
User offline. Last seen 5 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
When the programme becomes unsustainable and the contractor re-baselines, the new baseline should have as its Date for Completion the original Date for Completion plus any extensions of time already granted by the Engineer up to the date of the re-baseline.

If the two dates are the same (ie no extensions of time have been granted) then it is also known colloquially as a Recovery Programme
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Recovery plan is totally different from Re- Baseline Programmes to put in back the baseline programme on original dates therefore we can’t correlated this re- baseline programme with this recovery programme
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hello,

We have now add a new word: Recovery Programme.

The thread is about project baseline.

The question is with regards to "re-baseline rule of thumb"

The rule of thumb really refers to contractual clause of a particular project.

I used the FIDIC contract since I’m familiar with this type of contract. Generally for World Bank (IBRD/WB), International Monetary Fund (IMF), Government or State Contract, etc. funded projects the FIDIC contract is the basic contract. So, the rule that governs the re-baseline is FIDIC clause 14.

The application of re-baseline as per clause 14 depends on project case to case basis. Some re-baseline programme may instill the original project completion date. This is the re-arrangement of logic, addtion of activities, mobilizing additional resources, etc. to show confidence that the project team, particularly the contractor, can still carry out the scope of work as per original finish dates.

Cheers

Joseph
Ashraf Jahangeer
Dear Ravi,

I agree with your philosophy of revising the Baseline however it is not called RECOVERY PROGRAM.

A recovery program does not show any extension but it tries to bring the project back on track in line with baseline schedule completion.

Regards,

Ashraf

A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
The re-baseline program (Often called as RECOVERY PROGRAM) is generally submitted to compensate the delays occured.

For all the delays incurred on account of client / consultant approval, an extension of Time (EOT) can be asked for with the recovery program showing end date greater than original baseline program end date.

All the culpable delays need to be compensated by the contractor and an Extension of Time shall be asked only for delays by client / Consultant or parties other than conttrcator himself.

Cheers,

Raviraj A Bhedase
Charleston-Joseph...
Ashraf/Patricia/Ifeanyi,

In FIDIC contract, the planning part is as per clause 14.

Clause 14 generally refers to baseline programme.

Contractor generally include the phrase "we submit our baseline programme as per clause 14 for your review and approval.

The client engineer will review/comment and will give consent of the said baseline will include the phrase "as per cluase 14, we give consent of your submitted baseline programme".

Ok. Now we have an approve clause 14 baseline programme.

Now the approve baselin programme will be updated periodically.

It will come a point in time that the approve baseline programme has no meaning anymore, unrealistic, a lot of changes that impact in the origianl baseline schedule, site people cannot sustain the baseling programme, client instructions also impact on the baseline programme. To continue monitoring activities with the original baseline prgramme is an exercise of futility.

In other words the original baseline programme is "inutil".

Now the provision of FIDIC clause 14.1 allows the contractor to submit a new baseline programme (re-baseline).

The project I involved with the contractor attempt to extent the completion of the finish date of the contract based on his monthly update, let say another 12 months.

I opined that it is not possible. In the re-baseline programme the completion date shall remain the same.

Now to my colleagues: Am I contractually correct in the interpretation of FIDIC clause 14.1.

Please let me know your ideas for the sake of discussing FIDIC clause 14.1.

Cheers,

Joseph
Ashraf Jahangeer
Charlie/Patricia,

You are correct that re-baselining is Contractors prerogative however what I was talking was general practisce.

The Contractor never re-baselines and shows the extended or reduced period in the baseline till the time there is an agreed contractual extension or reduction of time. For the purpose of showing the real picture the current schedule is alaways updated where we can show the delays or improvememnts.

Regards,

Ashraf
Patricia Le Clainche
User offline. Last seen 9 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

Ifeanyi,

I had the same question, but I might be more curious... you should find a lot at the following address :
http://www.fidic.org/

But Joseph will probably gave us a synthesis.

Thanks in advance.
Ife Olyke
User offline. Last seen 9 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joseph,

This is a learning field for me. I wil appreciate if you throw more light on what you mean by,

"For FIDIC contract, re-baseline shall follow clause 14."

Thanks.

Ifeanyi
Patricia Le Clainche
Dear Joseph,

Of course, we cannot generalize. It will depend of contract and could also depend on entreprise’s (or industry) referential.
Charleston-Joseph...
Dear Patricia,

Re-baseline is a prerogative of the contractor.

For FIDIC contract, re-baseline shall follow clause 14.

Cheers,

Joseph
Patricia Le Clainche
If the main reason to re-baseline a project seems to be an amendment to the contract, there could be other reasons such as when you decide to lead an action in order to reduce a risk.

Regards.
Patricia
Ashraf Jahangeer
Hi Olike,

There is no thumb rule however as a contractor we always goes for re-baseline when extension of time is provided by client through a variation order.

This sometimes takes so long that immidiately after re-baselining we observe the delays, however it still is a contractual document and the contractor cannot by himself go ahead and change the baseline which will be breach of contract.

Regards,

Ashraf