Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Start with baseline or detailed...?

4 replies [Last post]
Hazem Rady
User offline. Last seen 12 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am a new construction planner and i started planning 2 months later.
I have a question may be simple to more experienced planners but it’s annoying for me.
When I start planning should i start by estimating durations of general works or should i estimate each detail of the activity first that will lead me to the generals.
i.e.should i start like that:
duration of Concrete works = 40 weeks
or:
dur.of forming = 2 weeks
dur.of installing steel = 3 weeks
dur. of puring and curing = 1 week
ans so on....
which way is better?

Replies

Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Hazem
My advice in building work is forget the WBS and focus more on what your people want to see
Is it a floor by floor trade structure or trade by trade or what ask them
then structure your programme so you can sort it that way
By expeditious use of the ID and replication of descriptions you have already created a pretty sortable programme add to that good location and step definitions and you are pretty much sorted for an average bog standard building programme and if somebody tells you that you need WBS look stupid I find this really works and the person goes away very quickly
Gilbert Rayco
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Hi Hazem,

Basically u need to develop ur Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)and it is the primary input in schedule activity definition. At the early stage of the project execution upper level of schedule (level 2 or 3)is more appropriate if u do not have enough data or information i.e BOM,detailed AFC drawings, otherwise u can use the top-down method or decomposition,template from previous similar projects or rolling wave planning technique.

Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
I would start with level 1 and work my way down to level 4 or 5
So generals first forming hammocks to the next level and so on
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Hazem,

Welcome to the world of Planning Planet.

At some point in time, you are going to need the detailed description of each activity anyway - so that is where I prefer to begin. This is where the use of standard template is very useful: it should contain all the normal activities associated with a construction programme. All you need to do is change the durations to suit the conditions.

If however, you are planning something that you have never done before, then you would normally start with the expected "generals", and sub-divide them as you spend more time developing the programme.

HTH

James.