Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Building Schedule...where to start

11 replies [Last post]
Rizwan Arain
User offline. Last seen 11 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello Everyone,

I’m new to planning and scheduling a project and have done a basic training course on Primavera and reading a book on Project planning too. Learning P3-e/c is going OK and I am getting ready to start my job in the same company where once I was working as Network Administrator.
Because I was good at SQL and other softwares so my learning curve is fast. I have just minor confusion and I want good advises from all you.
Primave course and project books are good but I still don’t know when I will be building my first project schedule as where to start from for example, if project is just starting what should I be doing as first step in Primavera software and what will be second and third
steps. Will be calender be build first, or do I have to populate the resourse pool? at what poing will I be doing costing related things? what should be my fourth and fifth steps.

Thanks you all in advance for your advises and time.

Rizwan.

Replies

Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Rizwan do you know anything about what you are trying to plan?
If not stop reading primavera books and get out on site you wont becomne a planner by reading a book you will become a software jockey
As
charlie would say hard love mate.
Oscar
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
David
Agree with you
If you dont know much about construction ask a man who does when your preparing your programme.
Clive
David Andreotti
User offline. Last seen 8 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
I would start with getting a set of drawings and specs. Understnad the scheduling spec so you’ll know what the Owners expectations are.

Then, get familiar with the building. Understand the structure, foundations, shell, and fitout.

Get yourself some large sheets of paper (size D or E) and start drawing the construction logic out. Boxes and arrows. Get your hands on the estimate to help you build the engineering piece of the schedule. Focus on the activities first, then go back and add durations. Lastly, add the ties.

Think about how you want to organize the tasks. Phase, areas, levels, responsibility codes, etc.

This should get you started. Appeal to the project team: Superintendents, PM, etc. to assist you in the development.

Building a schedule is best done in steps. Typically, you’ll need a outline-style schedule initially, then the detail will come.

good Luck.
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Building schedule where to start

First determine what the project is, sounds simple but worth the effort to understand the project scope. Have you for example got any design responsibility, what does the contract require you to coordinate, is there any nominated subcontractors.

Assess what you are building, has it got foundations, are there piles etc etc.

Try to build a picture of the building in your mind.

Once youve done that think about the numbering of your programme. ie how are you going to use the activity ID. Im lazy so I tend to build my numbering in a way that allows me to copy it up the building ie I will detail level 1 add all my links, resources, and associated fields in then run just that level. Check it works. I will also add some hooks in to enable me to link it to the next level, ie strip formwork, wet trades completed , floor weathertight required etc etc.

Once im happy with the floor programme I will copy and paste it up the building. Normally I will do this by renumbering the IDs ie if level 1 was 1000 for say concrete to floor level 2 will be 1000L2 the reason for this is as I said was Im lazy. Instead of me having to filter and set up numerous filter fields I can sort by ID contains L2 that gives me all L2 activities or conversly ID contains 1000 which will give me all the concrete to floor activities. This is usefull for adding linksd between similar activities and also when you want to pull out trade resources.

Thats a start point however I wont say more but just let you have a go to see how you get on.

I agree with other people comments that you must keep it simple it makes your life easiere and people can understand what you have done and are therefore more likely to use it.

Clive
Edgar Ariete
User offline. Last seen 5 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Kieran,

Why they’ll never listen in the first place? Is it really difficult to learn after you’ve grown up?

cheers
Kieran Thomson
User offline. Last seen 11 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
A real quick lesson to get you going

Firstly try to break your project down into phases, Design, Procurement, Manufacture, Construction, Commissioning & Handover is a simple example. Under each phase you may have sub-phases if you will. For example in design you may have Outline proposals, detailed proposals, final proposals etc. From here you can start to build your programme structure.

However, it is not important to get all this info onto the planning software before you start, it’s more important to find out what the project involves, what work/activities you will be looking after & monitoring. Once you have ascertained this information it will be easier to structure the programme into phases and to what detail you need to be planning at in that phase.

This can be quite difficult because people see it in different ways and only with practice & experience will you become more confident each time you start a new project. If you break your project down into easy enough phases then it will be easy for you & others to understand.

Calendars, resources, costs etc are all important too, but try not to get ahead of yourself, my suggestion for your first time is plan the activities out first (use simple bars for starters then add the detail, this helps if you would like to alter the structure of your programme as your building it), add your calendars and schedule then input resource/cost data and review.

Remember, keep it simple and easy to use, at the end of the day it’s about how you communicate the status of the project and how you can assist the project team to improve delivery, or get them out the crap because they never listened to you in the first place.
Wan Noorhayani
User offline. Last seen 11 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
as for me... the most important thing is you shud know the concept of project management... since it is the root for a planner... you need to know the the sequences of work,predessor and successor ,resources, duration and etc....and the most thing that u shud understand is CPM... one you have familiar with the CPM and what activities drive what activities... then you we be ok...
Rizwan Arain
I understand that too and I have been through the trainings for that stuff too. Even though I don’t have hands on experience but I do have better understanding of the job as well. I know I will need some supervision in the start to get along with my work but people around me know the work very well and they don’t know the software at all, so it is like blind and deaf’s story who have to save each others life...:)

Thanks,
Rizwan.
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
to set up the software (calender, code, rules..) is easy.
it’s very importance that you have a basic understanding of the work you are going to plan.

For example, the sequence of works, resource required,duration, different kind of construction method...

with these knowledges, one can be a planner even he can’t not use any planning software. on the contrary, one can use software very well,but knows little about the work, then he will be a computer operator not a planner
Rizwan Arain
I am an Electrical Engineer.

Rizwan.
Aneesuddin Zubair...
User offline. Last seen 6 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Rizwan,

What is your background, have you worked in construction field.... Just to understand where to start.

Anees