Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Negative variations of scope and EV

1 reply [Last post]
Joao Ribeiro
User offline. Last seen 5 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Dear all:

I went trhough to forum topics list and, although the are some threads on how to deal with scope increase, there is none regarding scope decrease.
What do you think is best practice for dealing with scope decrease, considering that I’m using a "light form" of EVMS to control the project?

Thank for your suggestions.

Replies

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 13 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Surely the process of dealing with scope change is the same whether it gets bigger or smaller?
Scope change is assessed for impact on resources, budget & schedule, change is agreed & revised baseline generated.
Only difference would be instead of adding new/expanding existing activities as variations, you would remove/contract existing activities as variations.

I suppose in extreme cases where the scope decrease leads to significant amount of work done now being ‘valueless’, then the EVM measures could perhaps be unduly influenced by this and it may be suitable to treat the change as a new project.