Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Progressing S Curve

7 replies [Last post]
Shahrol Sabaruddin
User offline. Last seen 13 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Hi, PP people,

I’ve created an S Curve (Plan vs Actual using manhours) after everybody agreed with the schedule. Now after halfway, we noticed that we are slipping back. The management decided that I need to create a new S Curve based on current progress since current early finish vs baseline early finish going to be about 10 to 15 days different.

My question, how do you cope (in terms of reporting of Plan vs Actual % )with changing in schedule?

Hope somebody out there that have encounter the same problem that I have could help me. FYI, I have posted quite a similar problem in MS Project thread but with how to do it in MS Project.

Thank you.

Replies

Sunil Kumar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Daya,

I f your posting a mail to Sharol pls C.C. to me.

Thanx

Sunil
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Shahrol,

I mean it for P3, you could contact me at plannerdaya@yahoo.com

Cheers!!!

Daya
Shahrol Sabaruddin
User offline. Last seen 13 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Dayanidhi,

You meant P3 or P3e? Do you have a step by step how to do it? Maybe a screen capture on how to do it?

Thanks.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Shahrol,

If you are using P3 schedule, then answer would be very simple. you should update your schedule periodically and use store period performance option to store the resources budgeted hours, when you want to revise the manhours, make a copy of the program, and update relevant budgeted hours of the activities in the program with revised manhours and export the resources budgeted manhours from this update and the baseline program in order to prepare a s-curve and see the difference where both curves cross each other will reflect from which date or week or month you need to have additional manhours. You may have to use timesheet to support the update of actual manhours at the site.

HTH

Daya
Jihad Daniel
User offline. Last seen 8 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
When revising the schedule at a certain data date in order to make it finish at the contract completion date, make sure to revise first relationship between sequential activities before doing any additions on the man-hours (resources). In producing the new S-curve, make sure:
1- to keep the history of the previous actual man-hours (or %)and cumulative man-hours (or %> I mean by %=planned man-hours on a certain period (week, month)/total man-hours (for the whole period of the contract)
2- to show on the graph, the previous S-curve and the new one and liaise at the data date of the revision the two S-curves in order to show the uplift (recovery)
3- to check the figures of the man-hours (or %) and compare it to the average periodical productive quantity that you can achieve.
4- The S-curve should be logic and smooth as much as you can. for ex. if your recovery requires additional resources, you cannot provide them quickly, this should be shown on the S-curve.
5- You need always to remember that you curve has an S shape not an I or other shapes :)

Regards,
J. Daniel
DATTATREYA PADHARTHI
User offline. Last seen 5 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Let me share my experience on this issue.
Half way through a project, we were 7 % (roughly 2.5 months behind the schedule) & we had to revise the schedule & keep the end date same.
Choose the date from which you are revising. Make all actuals accordingly. Split the in progress activities ompleted & not-started portions. Re-schedule the balance activities accordingly.
The new (excluding actuals) shall give you the remaining S-curve.

Hope this works!
Regards

Dattatreya
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Revise the schedule. Pull back all the activities to the contract finishing date. Obviously, you need to increase the resources to complete the project on time since you already encounter a delay upto 10~15 days.

Derive the new manhours from tabular report and update the s-curve.

Regards.