Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Line of Balance

21 replies [Last post]
Jaco Stadler
User offline. Last seen 17 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all

Does any body know of any good software for creating a line of Balance.

I am currently using xls and are looking for something faster / better.

Cheers

PS Have any body read about a line of balance in a PM book. I have just realized I have never seen this method explained in any text book.

Replies

Sakari Pesonen
User offline. Last seen 16 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Derek!
I work in Skanska business unit Finland, and we are using Vico Control company wide. I find the software absolutely great. When scheduling projects, flow line (line of balance) method is a must. It is so much more informative comparing to the traditional GANTT -chart. My favorite feature in Control is "Custom schedule views". It allows you to show those tasks and locations you want to. It´s kind of hard to explain, you will understand the idea by trying!
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Welcome back Phillip and Gary

For a straight client heads up presentation and for site explanation of where we are a single page graphic has huge benefits. I reckon TILOS is a good place to start.
Derek ONeil
User offline. Last seen 16 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
We use CCS for planning but we have been running a trial of Vico’s Control sofware, does anyone else use the software and if so what do you think? I am particulary interested in any Finnish workers using the software or Line of Balance planning as Vico constantly tell us that it is widely used in Finland.
Brian Lewis
User offline. Last seen 16 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Is anyone using Graphisoft [now VICO] Control software?
Mohammed Muneeruddin
User offline. Last seen 5 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
HI JACO

FOR TIME LOCATION I AM USING SOFTWARE "CCS". BY THE WAY WHAT EXACTLY THE TIME LOCATION SHOULD BE I HAVE STILL TO WORK ON AS EXPLAINED IN THIS WEB ADDRESS BELOW
http://www.nnh.com/ev/lob2.html

REGARDS
MUNEER
Jaco Stadler
Yes Gary

I Have done this most of the Time.

It is not Diffucult.

Top Rom You Make your Sketch of What you Are Building
Left & Right Column do a Time (I Normaly Use Weeks)
Then you Freeze Panes and start with manual Colour in.

Cheers
Gary France
User offline. Last seen 16 years 1 week ago. Offline
Hi PPers,

A planner I know has asked me a question that I couldn’t answer. Can anyone help with this??

He wants to create a line of balance using Excel. Has anyone done this successfully? If so, can you please let me know (and hopefully send to me a copy of your spreadsheet) so I can pass it on.

Thanks.

Gary France
Chairman
The Planning Engineers Organisation
gfrance@planningengineers.org
David Waddle
User offline. Last seen 12 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Hi everyone,
You may also wish to have a look at Chainlink software found at www.swsoftware.co.uk. This package was created by a practicing planner and is very good at producing time/location charts. I believe (but I could be wrong) that it also produces line of balance charts.

The advantage of this software is that it imports project programmes from Primavera, Power Project, MS Project, in deed any package that can use PRN or MPX formats. For a simple graphic (no logic links) the programme can be input directly.

Dave Waddle
Jonathan Kirby
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi
ASTA have an add on and/or stand alone Time Chanage Software TILOS [TimeLocation] which i understand was developed with a German contractor. It looks like the best thing since sliced bread if this is your primary method of planning, it has a professional price to go with it !!
As you say line of balance graphs are slightly different and with their template system for exporting to excel you can set up some good stuff, and that is inbuilt to the standard planning software.
There are also lots of cheap and chearful TC / TL software which do the basics.
I imagine with most software these days you could export line of balance data that excel could pick up and produce graphs, Any cluse or tips ??
regards
JK
David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Roger...

It’s some time since I looked at the Powerproject/Line of Balance thing (I mean 3 months… see how my memory is fading). But from what I recall it was more about being able to use the software. In v8 I think there are some quite powerful report/graphing tools and, of course, stuff can be exported to MS Excel. It utilises the fairly unique (can something be fairly unique???) facility of putting more than one segment on a bar.

Before I go too much further I had better have a word with Asta to see if they have put together a crib sheet on it.

I’ll post again later if I find out more.

Regards

David
Roger Gibson
User offline. Last seen 6 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
David, I agree with you.

I have used time-chainage for roadworks & pipeline projects.
For large residential projects, houses and apartments, ’line of balance’ is the best method to use.
The two methods are different.

Is the Asta ’line of balance’ software an add-on to Powerproject?

Roger
David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 5 days ago. Offline
IMHO Time Location and Time Chainage methods are not the same as Line of Balance. The former is most useful for linear projects (roads, rails, pipelines and so on) and the latter for repetitive projects (houses, hotel rooms, wind farms and so on).

The Asta help desk sorted me out with an example of converting a Powerproject programme in to a neat Line of Balance type graph. If you use Powerproject it might be worth giving them a ring.

Regards

David
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Bernard,

That was not an attempted hijack or attack, just an attempt at ribbing you and eliciting a smile:-)

Regards and keep on smiling.

Philip
Jonathan Kirby
Bernard,
Done as requested.
JK
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks everyone. Jonathan, if you’d care to send me an e-mail, I’d be happy to list anything that’s missing (and should be there - see below). When I started building the list, I spent a few days doing research on the net. Since then, I mostly rely upon suggestions through the e-mail address provided on the page.

Please note that the list is intended exclusively for Windows based software (not web based services). That may account for some of the perceived omissions.

Bernard Ertl
eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
Jonathan Kirby
Jaco,
Another software for line of balance [or Time Location or Time Chainage as its also known] not included in Bernards website is TILOS by ASTA. It is stunningly good and has very comprehensive functionality, but seems expensive, if you have the money it could be worth looking at.

Bernard,
By the way I looked at your site and thought it was rather useful. Some notable omissions from your lists/links though.

regards
JK
Gary France
User offline. Last seen 16 years 1 week ago. Offline
Bernard,

I too have been looking for some line of balance software, so I found your project management software directory very helpful.

Thanks for the tip.

Gary France
Jaco Stadler
Thanx Bernard

It seems that I have found what I am looking for.

Now if I can just found somebody that have used the software it will help.

Strange that none of this software is mentioned in PP.

Cheers
Bernard Ertl
Hi Philip, I’m generally an easy going person - I don’t mind criticism. But if you have a personal issue with me, as it would seem from your last post, I suggest you take it up with me directly (via PM - please don’t disrespect Jaco by highjacking his thread) or the PP Admin.

I offered the only advice I can with respect to Line of Balance solutions.

Bernard Ertl
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Berhardt,

That was not an answer, just a selling job, And DARE to delete me
Bernard Ertl
I’ve listed a few options in my project management software directory (it’s just a hobby). I have not used any of the listed solutions though.

Bernard Ertl