Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Qualifications for Project Management

9 replies [Last post]
ly lu
User offline. Last seen 17 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I’m a fresh graduate from university with Bachelor of Engineering degree. I’m interested in project management.
My question is since I’m new to project management (I didn’t learn this in university), what kind of skills and qualifications do I need to be in project management industry? What kind of courses/degree do I need if I want to progress in project management?

Replies

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Ly,

I think you must be confused by now with all the comments you read, I must say that they are all valid. If I was in your place right now, this is what I would do:

1. study further and take a course in Project Management. 

2. At the same time, gain some experience in Construction by working with a Contractor or a Project Management Company.

3. During this period, you need to learn the construction industry process and how they do business from prequalification to project close out. You also need to learn how they do the works on site and how you can improved them. Young Engineers have innovative minds and they always come up with something new to improved the process.

4. After you gained experience, you can decide which particular field you want to be as your chosen career. If you have a leadership quality, then maybe you can pursue this career path and be a good Project Manager or even a Project Director someday. However, a career in construction is a ladder race and you start from the bottom and sometimes you need a real good break before you can move forward, however, if you are equipped with both the knowledge and experience, I would say you have a very good advantage.

All the best,

Daniel

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Experience is the Best Teacher.

Evaristus Ujam
User offline. Last seen 11 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

A good Understanding of the project environment and all the stake holders is key to Project Management. A project Manager is multidisciplinary. He has a bird's eye view of the work as well as the people who are doing the work. Having a multiple degree is not the issue. It is his level of interaction with both the job and the various stakeholders that make him stand out in the crowd. Call it on the job experience if you like and being well informed in all fields that relate to the project he is handling.

Ujam

John Doe
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Do you think a PMP certification is worth it? Also, how hard do you think the PMP certification exam cost is for someone who just graduated a few months ago?
Mark Lomas
User offline. Last seen 15 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Experience is essential - a PM degree would not make a good PM.

Many years of applying those skills and techniques (the Body-of-knowledge stuff) and of learning to understand people and groups, to influence people and to play the politics involved, will be required to become a good PM.

Go learn from the guys who LEAD your projects, not manage them LEAD them.
ly lu
User offline. Last seen 17 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Does that mean that in order to be in Project Management industry, the only way is to gain experience/be exposed to projects?
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Dayanidhi

Your sugesstion is practicable for new comers in this field but to become good planner experience and adopt latest techniques is also essential.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
try to join as trainee in a well known construction company in your area, also choose your field/area, observe their construction activities closely, then you can learn everything by yourself(with little guidance from your superior).
Guy Hindley
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
In simple terms it is all a matter of application of mind. To become a senior planner the essentail pre-requisite is an inquisitve mind searching for order in the world. Integration is key.