Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Engineering Schedule

5 replies [Last post]
Nishikant Choudhary
User offline. Last seen 15 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
HI! GUYS

I want your help as to how i should proceed with the development of Schedule for Engineering Activities , loaded with resource as Mahours.

I have with me the entire break up of Documents and the Manhours as the INput to the schedule.

My techniques , initially was to Import all this to P3 and run a Global change , with QTY(No. pf Docs) X Rate( Manhours/Doc) = total Manhours.

BUt there wasa hotch that the activities would be totalling upto 1000 nos. with each document to be racked , physically with only 7 months schedule.

What should i do in this case.

please Advise.

I am also tracking the progress of the documents using ACCESS database.

The weightings of the docs also are imbibed through the ACCESS d/b.

I waould just plug in the progress percentage into P3 from access D/b per dividual Doc(or type of doc) and get to match the Progress percentage that ACcess gives me .

Is this a reasonable exercise to do knowing well taht i have only 7 months Project Period and fortnightly updation.

Please Advise , the course of action that need to be followed , in this case, cos i am setting up a Project Control process also.

Thx.

Replies

Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
User offline. Last seen 1 year 6 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Choudhary,
I think this question based on project. according to this issue you must define stages from engineering Dep, Such as:
1- Conceptual Design
2- Basic Design
3- Detail Design
4- ....

and for ang stage defing items breakdown , such No document , No manporer , etc and definf stage for issue, suche as IFC( Isuue for comment:20%-30%), IFA ( Issue for approved : 30%-50%) , APD ( approved 10%), AFC ( Approved for construction :10%)

Regards

Zq qz
User offline. Last seen 7 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
then determine progress by MANHOURS
30% DESIGN stage - 25 % <==PERCENT FACTOR
60 % design stage - 25 % <==PERCENT FACTOR
90 % design stage - 30 % <==PERCENT FACTOR
100% design stages - 20 % <==PERCENT FACTOR

EXAMPLE DWG A: BUDGET MANHOUR = 200
EARNED MANHOUR= BUDGET MANHOUR X PERCENT FACTOR X PROGRESS

30% DESIGN stage - 200 X 25 % X 100 = 50 MANHOURS
60 % design stage - 200 X 25 % X 50 = 25 MANHOURS
90 % design stage - 30 %
100% design stages - 20 %
===============================================
EARNED ============================75 MANHOURS
% PROGRESS = 75 / 200 = ???????

tHEN FOR A GROUP OF DWGS YOU CAN DETERMINE PROGRESS AT DIFFERENT STAGES. BY LOCATION , AREA ETC.............
Nishikant Choudhary
User offline. Last seen 15 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
i appreciate the progress norms that is being advised . I would like to know as to how i should proceed with the manhours calculation as the unit of progress measurement.

Thx
Zq qz
User offline. Last seen 7 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
gUYS,
I think you can do also this method:
Make a group i.e By Decipline
then determine progress by work matrix or work step i.e by:
30 % design stage - 25 %
60 % design stage - 25 %
90 % design stage - 30 %
100% design stages - 20 %

maybe with this method you have only less than 50 activities.
Tara Muddappa
User offline. Last seen 12 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Nishant,

Since the duration of the project you monitor is just 7 months,you are better of grouping these documents as one package.

Each package make a fragnet to truely represent logic and manpower resource and later on retrieve your fragnets to the
main network or program.

Regards,

Tara Muddappa