Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

monitoring progress

3 replies [Last post]
Jeffrey Huneycutt
User offline. Last seen 3 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Just want to get some opinions about monitoring a contractors progress.

We have a person where I work that insists on monitoring progress by the late dates. I think that monitoring by the early dates would be a safer method. It seems to me that if you monitor by the late dates by the time a problem came up it would be too late to correct.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Replies

David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 5 days ago. Offline
Gentlemen

I think if you start to think about Progress, Position and Forecast this may help in your monitoring.

My simple definitions are:

Progress – where am I now. This is a relatively easy thing to measure, for instance an activity is 85% complete.

Position – where am I compared to where I planned to be. This is a little more difficult, having found what we have done we need to compare that to where we should be, not too difficult on an activity by activity basis but when we try to role it up to where the project is (ahead/on/behind programme) things get a little more difficult.

Forecast – when am I likely to finish. Now I think this is nearly impossible, looking into the future, any method is at beast an educated or calculated estimate ( after all forecasting is the art of saying what will happen, and then explaining why it didn’t).

So to sum up, progress as a measurement does not depend on dates, its just a measure of how much has been achieved. Position is the comparative measure, my opinion is this should be measured against what you planned – did you plan to carry out the work at the earliest or latest dates or somewhere in between? Forecast completion might take account of earliest and latest dates… if anyone would like to share their favourite method of forecasting I’m waiting!

Regards

David
dbordoli@burofour.co.uk
Zq qz
User offline. Last seen 12 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Gentlemen, For me I use both i.e early and late meaning that if your actual/achieved progress is between, you are at the right track. (Try using early ang late curves) e l e l e l e l e a l e a l e a l e a l e a l e a l e a l e a l e a l e a l eal connect thesame letter e= early a=actual l=late
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Jeffrey, I use both early and late dates for monitoring. As you stated, the early dates notify us the progress and the late dates is the deadline.

Just use either one dates is not enough.