Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project 2002

2 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
does anyone have experience with project 2002 yet? Does the web based nature make improvements to multilocation teamwork? Thanks in advance

Replies

Colin Cropley
User offline. Last seen 5 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Further to my earlier posting: I attended a 1.5 hour launch seminar yesterday, along with approx 500 others. Microsoft have now become serious about Enterprise Project Management (EPM). There are now 3 products: MSProject 2002 (MSP) Standard (Stand-alone projects) MSP Professional (For collaborative pm & EPM) MSP Server, which enables MSP Pro clients to provide full collaborative functionality, working with MS SQL Server Users can set up Enterprise project templates and folders for various kinds of project documentation. MSP works closely with Outlook. Resource management is greatly enhanced, with an Enterprise resource pool that can be subdivided into regions, etc. Generic resources with defined skills can be loaded into a schedule, then matches with specific resources in the pool looked for (by region if desired) by the user or automatically using a wizard. This process can be used to solve resource overload problems. I did not see the collaboration features of P3e / Primavision 3.0, of threaded discussions or a virtual whiteboard. Nor have I looked at the functionality or usability of the core scheduling software of MSP. However, MSP is now a serious EPM contender.
Colin Cropley
User offline. Last seen 5 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Microsoft are only just launching MS Project 2002 in Australia in June. All PMI members (worldwide I assume) received a multimedia demo CD of MS Project Server 2002 with the May issue of the PMI Network magazine. I plan to review that and am attending a Microsoft Project 2002 "roadshow" on June 13th. I will give some feedback after that. In general, all project management software companies are moving to web-based collaboration, but some do it better than others...