Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Progress Reporting

22 replies [Last post]
William Caluza
User offline. Last seen 14 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
My boss gave me an article from the Association of Project Manager’s Publication titled "Reporting Good Progress is Simple", issue March 2002. The author has mentioned 3 "simple" charts in reporting progress for clients to easily understand. (The text and sample charts are attached to this e-mail).

These are :
1. Planned Progress Method
2. Progress Tracking Chart
3. Line of balance

My question and I seek your advise:

1. Is the above items can be produced using Primavera software? If not, anybody knows which software. and How?

I would highly appreciate any response regarding this. Thanks in advance.

-william

Replies

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear JV,

This post is 8 years old. I am sure that no one is going to send you anything.

With kind regards,

Samer
JV Amande
User offline. Last seen 12 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

i think progress reporting more done using excel format, however source data must come from the primavera program. Using excel will help your big boss understand and easily interpret the flow and the progress of your project, rather than submitting report directly printed from primavera.

anyway, can you please send me a copy as well..

maraksot_2004@yahoo.com

thanks..

Hans Masuy
User offline. Last seen 14 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Just my opinion:

Actually, progress reporting is depending to the client’s requirement. Basically, it will briefly stated in the ITB and most of the planner / project manager in my company will refer to the spec required. However, we always discuss further with the client regarding any possible modification can be done.

H.M
Project Manager
pmkb .
User offline. Last seen 12 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
PP Members may post files (please .ZIP them first) in the PMKB Templates/Files forum.

Stacy
Project Management Knowledge Base
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Since the donwload section is still under consideration by the moderators I think, at the moment, it would be better if the sender could upload it to another site and post the link here so that others could download it too...

Just an idea..

Christian
Devamalya De
User offline. Last seen 5 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Dear,
Plzzz send a copy of the attachment 2 me also at: dev2k5@gmail.com

Regards,
Devamalya De
Rahul Mulik
User offline. Last seen 51 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
William,

I would be happy to have that attachment in my mail box,\
mulikrahul@nmx.biz
as I am working on first 2 reports through Primavera itself, so I can add few points to you.

Cheers & Regards,
Rahul Shamrao Mulik
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,
I’m pleased to discuss regarding progress reporting with you.
In this case, I had used Primavera to produce some your items. But some of this item such as L.O.B created in customise software ( ec in excel with macro usage).

Regards
Soheil Jafari
User offline. Last seen 3 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,
Also Please send me the attachments on
My e-mail: s.jafari@iranpm.com
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Please send me the attachments on
My e-mail: shahzadmn@yahoo.com

I may help with some other ways of reporting.
Joe Mansour
User offline. Last seen 3 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hello William,

Please include me on your addressee for your attachments.
My e-mail: ecobuild@inco.com.lb

I may help with some other ways of reporting.

Thanks
Tara Muddappa
User offline. Last seen 17 years 1 week ago. Offline
Dear William,

Could you please mail me the attachments to my email ID : tara.b.m@seccadia.co.ae.

I look forward to have this soon.

Thanks and regards,

Tara muddappa
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Perhaps having a file downloads section separate from the forums (where members may upload files for consideration) would be a better way to go?

Files could be checked before listing to ensure appropriateness. Also, files would be easier to find for all members since you would not have to search for (or stumble across) a particular thread to find it.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc. - Project Management Software, Project Planning Software
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Allowing attachments would also be a great way to spread viruses and copyright material like songs and scheduling software.
Nestor Principe
User offline. Last seen 20 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Certainly, it would be helpful.
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

Sorry we currently can’t include attachments with the forum messages.

Do you think this would be useful?
Zq qz
User offline. Last seen 12 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hello William ,
Can you directly send those attachment to my e-mail (donatom@rcjubail.gov.sa). regards
Mike Harvey
User offline. Last seen 10 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Visit hpcconsult.co.uk and look under 'Planning Academy it may help? Regards Mike Harvey
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

You should have a look at IPSO for reporting. Reports can be defined using virtually any data held by the server and even calculations performed on the fly. You can get a copy for evaluation from www.omnis-group.com
Tomas Rivera
User offline. Last seen 5 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks William.

I received the attachments directly to my e-mail address.

I am almost certain that the Line of Balance chart cannot be reproduced in Primavera. The cases in which this chart is used are projects like a simple line of production: one activity after the other. If you have this type of project you can plan and track it very quickly and easily with this method (it can be considered a method like CPM) without using computers at all.
The Progress Tracking Chart can be reproduced using Tools/Graphic Reports/Resource and Cost. You will need to use a common resource for all the activities of the project, like cost. Go through the windows to specify what you want, it is straightforward. But if you need help, drop me a line.
The Planned Progress Method can be reproduced in Primavera in the same place as the above chart. This is my prefered way of reporting progress. I use a dummy resource called "progress" with a quantity per activity equal to the duration of the activity. This way is not very reliable if you have schedules with a small number of activities. This chart shows the range in which actual progress should fall. But bear in mind that this is just one side of the coin: if your progress is within the range, it does not necessarily mean that the project is on track.
Tomas Rivera
User offline. Last seen 5 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
The attachments do not seem to be anywhere. Could you send them to me directly to my e-mail address? Can somebody tell us if we can send attachements with the forum messages?
Kyu-Hoon Kwon
User offline. Last seen 22 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
I’m pleased to discuss regarding progress reporting with you.
In my case, I had used Primavera to produce planned progress by using Primavera Menu "Resource","Resource Curve" and "Tablar Resource Report". But I felt that it was insufficient for planned progress,progress measuring and tracking. So I myself have developed Progress Reporting System called SaPIS (Schedule and Progress Integration System). The main concept and logic of planned progress method is tha same as Primavera, such as Calendar,resource,resource curve,activity codes etc. The system can provide you some reports as follow;
1) Progress Planned Report(Weekly and Monthly)
: by Project Total and by WBS COde.
2) Progress Summary and Detail Report
(Showing Planned vs. Actual Progress of summary
code and activity)
3) Progress Detail Achieve Report .
(Showing Activity and Sub-Activity Progress)
For more detail information of this system, visit homepage "http://myhome.hananet.net/~khkwon6" and download Demofile in homepage menu "SaPIS"-"Download Demo"

I hope this sytem would be helpful to you.

K.H.Kwon