Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Career advice for Planning Engineer with 1.8 Year experience

6 replies [Last post]
Anand Unni Pillai
User offline. Last seen 49 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I'm a Planning Engineer with 1.8 year work experience in construction industry, UAE. I've a Diploma in Project Planning and Management and a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering. I want to know what might be the best advice for taking the next step in my career or to boost my career. I searched a little and found out the following,

1. PMP which will require 3 year’s experience.

2. Masters in Construction Management which I can't afford at this stage.

I'm open for all suggestions.

Regards.

Anand

Replies

David Manna
User offline. Last seen 6 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

Planning engineers oversee the operation of a particular project along with the project manager. I have seen people moving to management position from where you are at. You can look for opportunities in companies doing similar operations to your job experience. 

Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Agree with Zoltan, relevant site work experience & learn from others where they are willing to teach.

Met plenty of people that had all the courses & qualifications, but didn't understand the practical execution of the job.

Steven

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 14 hours ago. Offline

same advice

hesham eid
User offline. Last seen 6 years 20 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Anand 

i'm also an electrical engineer and working in the field of planning 

can u advice me where to search for suitable work ?

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 14 hours ago. Offline

forget about the certificates for now and get out in the field and get your boots dirty you will learn more than you can by sticking your nose in any book or by taking any PMP exam or by studying for your master degree. 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Anand

The future of project planning lies in BIM4 which will be the standard practice in the next 2 or 3 years.

Research that and master it and you will be way ahead of the competition.

Best regards

Mike Testro