Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3e Training courses P102 & P103

9 replies [Last post]
David Skinner
User offline. Last seen 6 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

In November 2003 i attended the above courses and received the associated certification on completion, is there anybody out there who can tell me the difference between P3e and P6 other than a few more bells and whistles. Are there any online certificated courses available for P6 as my potential new employer is insisting on proof of training.

Replies

BRAVE G
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 days ago. Offline

Rafael

Thanks for your help...

I am currently going to be undertaking a Project planning job for a client in the water industry... Would you please share some thoughts with regards to the WBS. If you can send me a sample of the entire Project that would be great.

Regards 

Geoff

BRAVE G

Happy New Year to you all

Hi  Rafael....

Thank for Your Advice.......

Geoffrey 

Choung Chao
User offline. Last seen 13 years 21 weeks ago. Offline

P3e and P6 are the same thing except that P6 is a newer name for the software.  When Primavera first released the software is was called P3e (Primavera Project Planner for the Enterprise).  After some rebranding and name changes it is now called P6.  Same software just a different name.  As I mentioned, P6 is newer.  Primavera used to change the name of the software every single time there was a new release however after Oracle purchased Primavera the sofware will be known as P6 R x.  So when people talk about P3e or P6 they are talking about the same software. Yes there are more features in P6 than P3e because they have updated the software.

Choung Chao
User offline. Last seen 13 years 21 weeks ago. Offline

P3e and P6 are the same thing except that P6 is a newer name for the software.  When Primavera first released the software is was called P3e (Primavera Project Planner for the Enterprise).  After some rebranding and name changes it is now called P6.  Same software just a different name.  As I mentioned, P6 is newer.  Primavera used to change the name of the software every single time there was a new release however after Oracle purchased Primavera the sofware will be known as P6 R x.  So when people talk about P3e or P6 they are talking about the same software. Yes there are more features in P6 than P3e because they have updated the software.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 47 min ago. Offline

Geoffrey,

I am not an expert on Primavera, we used it for some time to draw bar charts for a local water utility, our experience was so bad we never used it except for these reports. Our contractors used either P3 or SureTrak, they had the control of the means and methods to perform their jobs, not the utility. Evaluation of the claims was done using the same software used by the Contractors, not by using P6, we attempted that and did not worked.

Based on my experience with P3e and a few trials with P6 I posted my personal view in response to the question issued. I found no relevant differences between P3e and P6 and still perceive the software as no good for the needs of many in the Construction Industry.

Probably there is a cracked version of P6 but I am not interested on it, not even a 100 free licenses I can re-sell for 25.00-US$/ea, still will be a hard sale here, not a single one person I know here do like it, most prefer MS Project. I am so happy with my choice, Spider Project, I am stopping the occasional use of MS Project just because others use it, does not make any sense learning hundreds of different software for the same thing when it is better to master your best fit, same as my friends who use MS Project.

Cordially,

Rafael Davila

BRAVE G

Hello Rafael

You remind of rafael Nadal,,, Guess ur a genius in primavera

I need the software and with this recession i can't fog out £2000. 

cheers

geoff

David Skinner

To anyone reading this feed, I have established that MASS Systems do a transition course (P108) from P3E to P6 at a cost of £900 for 2 days.

Regards

Dave

David Skinner

Hi Rafael

thanks for the info, it would appear that not much has changed and as one enlightened US politician said "You can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig"

Cheers

Dave

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 47 min ago. Offline

David,

Same BUG different color, maybe out of 80,000 bugs 15,000 have been solved.

1. Still the same interface that makes it hard to clean up data of closed jobs.
  2. Installation requires a PHD on Computer Sciences with extensive knowledge on databases.
  3. Still hooked on the same old functionalities, nothing new.
  4. Import from external database or tables still too cumbersome.
  5. Cannot correctly model shift work when resources determine duration of the activity.
  6. Still a single WBS, your Company Standard to the garbage can if the client insists on another. The client pays, your needs do not matter.
  7. Poor Resource leveling algorithm.
  8. You cannot define on a one by one basis your link calendars, limited to a selection of a few global rules.
  9. Got to believe even a .0000001% improvement on the report generator will be welcomed as P3e was a disaster.
  10. Still dependant on the use of financial periods instead of using better mathematical methods to spread actuals.
  11. Resource loading still a disaster.
  12. No integrated risk modeling.
  13. Cannot model resource production, resource availabilty changed by fixed dates but not by changed conditions as the job progress.
  14. Sorry the list goes on and on but this very short list, improvised on the spot can give you an idea if you still remember P3e.

Ask your potential employer to consider something better, even if a Paint program to draw bar charts.

Regards,

Rafael