Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Scheduling Skycrapper

9 replies [Last post]
Claude Manel
User offline. Last seen 13 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 19 Sep 2008
Posts: 5
Groups: None
Hello everyone,
Since we reach the 90% of the building works, some of our big boss tells us that "perhaps we don´t need to shcedule the rest of the works til the end"
Personally i think that its completely the opposite, NOW is when we need to know where we are and wich are our targets to manage our time in the right way. Perhaps as a stakeholder I cannot see the truth
Can I be wrong? why don´t anyone tell me (us) some exit work wich near scheduling (or not..)
Thx a lot

Replies

A D
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 20 May 2007
Posts: 1027
I thought it’s 80:20 principle
Claude Manel
User offline. Last seen 13 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 19 Sep 2008
Posts: 5
Groups: None
Thanks, Mike
I was joking actually, thats my way of express the kind of unknoledge of my directors.
I afraid you cant know what the reality on shcedulling in Spain is.
When you say Primavera (in Spain we use this word to say spring) everybody even INSIDE some engeneeers or architects tells you what kind of flours you prefer...
The distance between Spain and the rest of the world in this way is decades
Sorry now crying on your shoulder....
Thx a lot
C
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 14 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Joined: 14 Dec 2005
Posts: 4409
Hi Claude

You seem to have drifted away from reality in your last thread.

Alawys rember the planners golden rule.

the first 90% of the work takes the first 90% of the time

The last 10% of the work takes the other 90% of the time.

Think and replan.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Claude Manel
User offline. Last seen 13 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 19 Sep 2008
Posts: 5
Groups: None
Thanks to everyone, as I thought we must schedule til the end, and then do the commitment with or without planning, cause I was telling this % only for works.
Thanks a lot again
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 9 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 8 Nov 2002
Posts: 313
Groups: None
I have never worked on a project that got easier towards the end, usually quite the reverse.
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 14 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Joined: 14 Dec 2005
Posts: 4409
Hi Claude

Please ignore Sandy - we have all made spelling errors - you will have to understand British scatology to get the "joke".

Meanwhile the finishing activity that is rarely planned correctly is the M&E test and commissioning period.

This always comes last and is often ignored or under resourced.

(unless of course you are dealing with Charlestons "Wild Air" which requires an interim commissioning)

I am not an M&E engineer but I have picked up the basics over the years and I ensure that my programmes have sufficient time to finish correcly.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Sandy Matheson
User offline. Last seen 8 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 22 Sep 2004
Posts: 57
So is this a high level toilet project?
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Posts: 1347
Groups: None
Claude,

Some of your boss are dead wrong.

the remaining 10 % should be schedule in more details.

We just don’t know the glitch or hitch that may happen to the remaining 10 % that may impact on the schedule completion.

So, please tell some of your boss, that it is very important to continue with the planning and scheduling including project control till completion of the project.

Cheers,
Charlie
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 30 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Posts: 1421
don’t know, perhaps they don’t want to end the project or they don’t have any intention to pay the remaining 10% (usually it’s the retention!).