Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Baselines

9 replies [Last post]
James Young
User offline. Last seen 12 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Morning all,

Hope your all well!

What is a baseline? How do i use it? what is it used for? would it be a benifit?

Regards,

James

Replies

Baseline means the approved project plan that includes schedule, budget, material consumption, etc. It is used for measuring project performance. During project execution you compare the performance with approved data, measure and analyze deviations.
Any PM software suggests to store project baselines and compare with the baseline your current project version.
Actually there may be not one but several baselines for the same project. You may be interested to compare project performance with the contract baseline, with the internal baseline, with the original baseline, etc.
Usually project baseline may be changed only with the change of the project scope.
So the baseline is useful for estimating project performance.
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline
Hi James - Back to Basics

In Powerproject in the File Drop down is a tab called Baseline - What If Manager.

When you have finished your programme use the software to copy your work into a Baseline File.

In format / barchart / baselines select the baseline that you want to underline your original bars.

When you change durations or update progress you have a direct visual comparison of the diferences.

It is an invaluable tool in delay analysis.

P3 has a similar system called Targets but it is nowhere near as flexible.

Best regards

Mike T.
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 9 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
thats what it is!! ive been doing this work for sixteen yrs, i know how to do it in my sleep but explaining is something else unless im speaking to them

Darren Kosa
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Brad,

One of the (dis)advantages of going on another PM related course last week. All this stuff is still fresh in the mind!!

Regards,

Darren
Brad Lord
very well put darren, i hate trying to explain things via pp.

rgds

brad
Darren Kosa
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Hi James,

Your baseline should be your sanctioned budget. It should include all your capital and revenue costs, but some scheduling applications only refer to baselines as the original effort and start / finish estimates. This is then used as a reference point for tracking actual progress and measuring change in the project schedule.

Regards,

Darren
Brad Lord
never used it

have a look on google for any information re baselines, i hate trying to explain via pp or you can call me on 07929 642107

brad
James Young
User offline. Last seen 12 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

Brad i am using Powerprojects v10?

Regards,

James
Brad Lord
hi james

a baseline is a snapshot of your project from day one. Once you have set up your plan , assigned resources, budgets etc. It is a useful tool to track projcet performance. What tool are you using??