Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Jr. Planner Looking for Advice

4 replies [Last post]
Ken Barrett
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Hello all,

I’ve been recently hired as a Jr Planner (zero prior experience with a degree in Mech Eng) at a construction company that strickty deals with the petrochemical (refineries) industry. The I was under the tutalage of a senior planner but he is no longer with the company. Thus, it just leaves me with no real planner to teach me. Is there anything that you would recommend I can do to enhance my knowlege in this field, ie books, training seminars or anything. I have taken courses in P5 and use the softwear everyday. That is the easy part... as far as the figureing out the actual way to plan things I am clueless... any help is much appriciated!

Replies

Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Chris

Good and practical suggestion- appreciated
Erickson Tria
User offline. Last seen 2 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
I would be willing to provide you assistance in whatever capacity i could.
I have a vast experience in manufacturing, erection/installation of refineries and power plants.
Kindly send me private message if your interested.

Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Ken,

Oliver has given you some good advice, the only other thing that I would suggest is that you talk to people. You’ve said yourself that your knowledge base is minimal, so talk to the people who know more than you do, site managers, project managers, pipefitters, labourers, it doesn’t matter.

I’ve found that if you ask questions openly and honestly people will answer in the same way and you will get the information you need. As you know there is a great deal of information available on the web and, if you can’t find the answer elsewhere, someone in Planning Planet will know.

Good Luck

Chris Oggham
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Ken,

Planning is part of the wider field of project management. I recommend that you get a copy of ’A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge’ (PMI or APM)

It will help you with all terminology and explain the simple aspects of PM and planning.

If your company reports using Earned Value Analysis (which I imagine they do due to using P3e) I would look it up on the internet and in the PMI Body of Knowledge.