Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Expected skills of planner

39 replies [Last post]
vinod raturi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Dear all ,

I am working in fabrication industry from past 12 years , my deliema is i really dont know what a professional co expects from planners . At present we are fabricating vessels , but most of the time i am only following up for materials . I use MS project , but i find my boss is least interested in it and i use it only when it comes to give to client.

I would like to know , in international scenario what all skills a planner should have . so that i can upgrade myself for it.

Replies

Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 9 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Andrew

Are u looking for any experienced P3e Planners (Railways, Construction,Civils etc ) Experience, on a contract basis, could do with a bit of sunshine

regards

brad

email - bradley.lord2@networkrail.co.uk
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
G’Day Mohsen,
I’ve just received a copy of Paul’s version 5 book. As did some of my planning friends.

I’ve only been using P3e for 6 weeks now, having never used it before, and with only 5 years experience with other tools (Micro planner X-Pert and OPP), I’ve found the book to be a very quick reference guide and it has gotten me out of a few sticky "What The’s".

I went on a training course the other week (Primavera run, and although it confirmed everything I wanted to know, Paul’s book is definitely never far away from me at work.

Have a good one.
Andy

Mohsen Nourbakhsh
User offline. Last seen 11 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Everyone for the feedback. this is really a rich forum, i ve learnt LOTS over the last couple of days.
any commnets on: "Planning Using Primavera Project Planner P3 Version 3.1" by Paul E Harris?
cheers,
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Moshen

Most likely they are looking for a operator (P3) instead of a planner.

It is easier to train a good planner to become a good P3 planner than train a good P3 operator to become a good P3 planner.

Since you discribe yourself as the first category of planner, then its not hard to train yourself to become a good P3 planner and look for another P3 planner job.

There are many opp here in Australia so prepare yourself to become a good P3 planner is an advantage.

Good Luck

Alex
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Charlie
"YOU ARE THE MAN"
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Moshen,

You have to be at your best shots.

You got to be the best in P3.

You got to be the best in field experience.

You got to be the best in theory.

You got to best in practical application.

You got to best in claims.

etc, etc, etc,

If i got the opportunity, i can talk that project control manager, theory and practice, P3 MS project, test etc.
At the end of the interview the guy will tell me " YOU ARE THE MAN, I WANT YOU HERE IN MY TEAM "

Moshen, that is the way to end a job interview, less than that, forget any job offer.

HOW TO DO IT???? Just read a lot of inteivew tips in the internet.

Cheers,

Charlie
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 1 day 18 hours ago. Offline
Mohsen,

No offend please, majorities of the big company now a day is looking for a P3 expert planner as requirements. We all know that not all P3 driver are qualified planner but you would realized that on the advertisement usually stated P3 as qualification. Not all but I would say majority because that’s one of the company’s selling point to win the bid or project. Most of the project that I have been involve start from the tendering package the client itself specified the project controls packages to use such as SAP or Pronto or other costing package, P3 for planning and scheduling, QDMS , Expedition or other document control packages, etc… which is also a good selling point of a company.

Sad to say but yes! It’s happening.
Mohsen Nourbakhsh
Clive,
it was awekward, the person was the "projet controls manager", and I had been introduced by a friend who is a senior planner in another company and neither of us expected that.
I can see alot of planner job opportunities at the moment, but I think it s whether the companies do not have the resources for training or just need some one who s no hassel, and on the other hand they are happy to pay the big money
Clive Randall
Mohsen
Who interveiwed you a planner or HR
From what you say I guess it was a planner however if he was asking you about details of P3 he wanted a jockey you are probably best out of it
Mohsen Nourbakhsh
HI everyone,
Just new to this forum, and was looking at different topics.
Recently, I had a very intense job interview for a scheduling job for a respective international company, and guess what?.. the discussion session was set only around the software (P3) and how I would do this and that. I was So frustrated becasue although I have the qualifications that you expect from a planner but still not quite experienced in P3. It only gave me a headache ( at the end of the day, they filed my application for future reference ;) )
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Clive

Spot on... it actually enlighten some of question in my mind that I always try to answer when someone ask me to work on a new job...

Happy New Year

Alex
Joseph Erwin Carg...
User offline. Last seen 7 years 1 week ago. Offline
That what experience do....

joseph

vinod raturi
Thanks Clive ,

You have put it down so beautifully , actually this what i do and feel about planning . But I am sure , if somebody would have popped this question suddenly on me, i could not have replied as beautifully as you did.

Thanks for the same.
Clive Randall
Vinod
I think it may be better to respond to the question more pragmatically ie
"Why did you become a planner"
Answer
I have spent some time in the industry and have worked in a number of fields such as site engineering, production supepervision etc and have noted that planning is an essential part of the construction process. My experience is that often this requirement is overlooked but if undertaken correctly can provide huge benefits to the company and its projects. I have therefore developed my carreer such that I believe I can now provide credible advice to the site team with regards to time management and methodology. When preparing my advice I glean the requirements of the site team and their experience and use this as a basis of my logic development. I feel that if I can discuss the plan with those who will ultimately be responsible for undertaking the works the plan is more likely to credible and to be adopted by the site team. I find the process of planning exilerating and the benefits highly rewarding on a personal level. The challenges presented in the planning field are enormous and constantly changing which requires me to constantly improve my skills. As to why I became a planner I feel that it is a rewarding career that constantly stretches my abilities and provides me with a real sense of contributing to the success of a project.

In the answer the interviewee has answered a number of questions aprt from the one specifically requested and has developed a reasoned answer which demonstrates his approach to planning and the benefits he believes it brings to the Company. He has identified a purpose for employing him and identified that he is aware that the Company could benefit by employing him. He has demonstrated that he is not polsarised in his career but realises that construction requires teamwork and that he enjoys being a team player. He has also identified a commitment to developing his career and is enthusiastic about what he does. He has also identified that he has not just drifted into planning but has realised during his involvement with the industry that planning is essential. Always remember that the Company has identified the need and you are aligning with this need and reinforcing their need to employ an planner.

If as an interviewer I received this answer I would certainly look at employing the candidate.

I have interviwed a considerable number of candidates and many have not thought about what they are doing or why they are doing it. This to me raises the question as to their commitment to their career. Not a good sign.

Well thats how I see it anyway.

Clive
vinod raturi
Hi clive ,
on a lighter note , i was just thinking , if someone asked me why did i become a planner , can i start boasting about myself that i know I AM A GOOD COMMUNICATOR , I HAVE A LOGICAL MIND , I have a family to look after .........
Blah Blah Blah.

thanks for your concise reply.
Clive Randall
Ok hands up
it should hve been good
which i attempted to change but couldnt is this a sign
Clive
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Clive - I like your Point 5. "Godd training". I know that we like to think of ourselves as being The Almighty, but somehow our career progression to such a level of immortality might be rather optimistic.

James :-)
Clive Randall
Skills required 1. Effective communicator 2. Logical mind 3. Ability to effectively present his ideas and defend them similar to 1 4. Wide exposure to industry 5. Godd training and carreer progress 6. Why does he want to join you 7. Family commitments (if he is married with young children a desert posting with a 10 and 1 cycle will be a disaster 8. Exposure to culture 9. How he would approach a task and his understanding of outputs 10. Political awareness Somewhere at about 50 I would place his understanding of software, training can provide this, if he has programmed effectively a switch from one to another wont come as a big shock, but if he hasent a clue about real planning he will be worthless how ever well he can drive the software. For instance if you dont know what the end user wants the coding structure will not be correct and nobody will be able to get the best from the programme. Clive
Michael Bonandrini
User offline. Last seen 8 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
James

90% of the experienced planners out there have used more than one package. I find it very doubtful that an experienced planner has only ever used 1 package (especially the good ones).

John

I agree with your first statement, but it’s extremely dangerous, especially when the planner is inexperienced. I’ve seen tenders go out by inexperienced planners that have nearly caused the company’s downfall. Just make sure that that person has a good coach or mentor.

With regards to your second statement, my original remark was taken out of context. When talking about I.T. the questions need to revolve around I.T.
I was talking about construction & petrochemical. Use your savvy and ask something like "How long to develop a 10 000 line code module and convert it into executable code?" The basic idea is to ask an "open-minded technical question"

Hope this helps

Regards,
Michael Bonandrini
Planning Engineer
John Lawson
User offline. Last seen 10 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

When recruiting I always like to know a bit about the planning job in question and recruit accordingly, and hopefully avoide the square pegs in round holes problem.

I find you are often better bringing someone in bellow the level that you would like and then spend a bit of time and energy training them up. These people seem to respond a lot better than buying in the "finished" planning product.

Thinking about the Pipe Test, I know a lot of very good planners in the IT industry that would look at you and say "what is a pipe".

Regards

John
James Griffiths
Michael,

Sorry - but you’ve just shot yourself in the foot. You have just condemned someone as being "inexperienced" - just because they have not used more than one software package. Does it make you an inexperienced driver just because you have driven only one type of car?. Obviously if the candidate’s CV says that they used "X and Y" software, then your question would be valid.

James.
Michael Bonandrini
User offline. Last seen 8 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
90% of the work comes down to planning experience. I’ve worked in this industry for quite a while now & have noticed that there’s a lot of bullsh1tters out there...

A while ago I was asked to draw up an interview for planners for one of the companies that I worked at. My two main questions were as follows;

Q1. What is the main differences between MS Project and Primavera and Suretrak ?

A1. There’s various answers to this, but what this tells you is that the planner has experience working with all the software packages. If a planner can’t give you at least 8 differences between the packages, he’s/she’s inexperienced

Q2. How long does it take to fit a pipe ?

A2. There isn’t an answer to this, in fact the planner should be asking questions like "what size?, what schedule?, what country etc...". This will give you some idea on the candidate’s technical ability (make sure that you have a technical person present)

I’d give these 2 questions a 50/50 weighting. I always use these and so far they’re fool-proof (touch wood)

Hope this helps
Damian Smith
User offline. Last seen 13 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
A - Experience on the job.
vinod raturi

Dear all ,

Lets say , you are going to conduct an interview for a canditate . You have just one meeting scheduled with the candidate . What percentage of your questions will be related to a) Job experience b) planning as a subject knowledge ( for eg all the hi fi funda of EVM , time impact analysis etc etc) c) specific software knowledge. d)Planning experience or any other point would be interesting.

I am sure once we get these weightages , we will atleast know relative importance given to each.

Lets get the ball rolling.
Kym Lesinski
User offline. Last seen 17 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Software skills are important there’s no doubt about that, but that’s not the most important trait of a planner. In my opinion, it’s communication.

A good planner can speak with the most technical engineer on the project and extract useful information from them. A good planner can get the two most technical engineers on the project to talk and come to a definitive solution. A planner must convert all the techo-jargon being discussed into a meaningful programme of work.

When recruiting I look for the person who can best integrate with the team, software skills follows closely behind.
John Lawson
Hi

I always consider a planning engineer that knows his subject and has the basic skills will soon "pick up" a planning software package and quickly have a reasonable plan knocked together.

However if a Planning Engineer don’t have these basic skills they will struggle to produce meaningful sort plan, however well they thinks they know the software.

The one thing a planner should never suffer from is stress, however we may be accused of creating stress it at times. All good planners know stress is not "deemed to be part of the rate", i.e. we don’t get paid for stress.

Very Relaxed
Wallsend
Gwen Blair
User offline. Last seen 10 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Aye! Smoking may kill but Planning can permanently damage your health!

Stressed
Stavanger
Renzo Streglio
User offline. Last seen 15 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
I am totally agreed with Nigel.
The software is only a tool which helps us (more or less) in our job, but what it is really important is the “forma mentis” of the planner. I mean the vocation to break down a big problem in several small problems and after that break down the small problems in nothing.

Ciao
Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Are you saying planners must smoke?
In this abstracted world of political correctness does this mean that planners will have to desist from their task due to the lack of unscribbled fag packets
cough cough
Oscar
Nigel Winkley
User offline. Last seen 2 days 15 hours ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
James
Maybe I should have said "software use is not as important" as understanding the fundamentals. I, probably like yourself, started using an Elephant drawing board and manually drawing lines, boxes, links. I would not want to go back to that!
Yes, we all use software, some use more of the features than others. But in reality, is there any difference between one package and another? If you can understand one planning software package and use it, then another version will not be too difficult to get to grips with.
If on the other hand you do not understand the basic principles of planning, logic, resources, whatever, then no software will help you.
Maybe should have made that a little clearer in the original post.
And by the way, i still scribble quick plans on a fag packet! ;-)
Cheers
Nige
James Griffiths
Vinod,

Good point on your last paragraph! We only use that which we are forced to in order to make life easier or that which suits our purpose. However, we must bear in mind that the software can manipulate only the same, basic data. How many different ways do we want to see the same thing? :-)

James.
vinod raturi

Hi ,

I totally agree with James , and i think he has made a point that most important is to know the strenghths and limitations of the software that one uses . It is only then it can be used to full potential .

Here i would like to give reference of our scientific calculator . I must admit that even after being with it for many years i am still not aware of its full potential. And many times i am surprised that calculations which i do in excel sheet , those formulas are already there in calculator.

But at the same time , we know that necessity is the mother of invention . So if we are not utilising to full potential , i guess main culprits being bosses , they dont ask much from their employee , in terms of inovations of software uses , due to which employees dont explore and hence never know the limitations or strengths of software.

regards
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Hi James,

Totally agree with you. Softwares make our jobs efficient. Companies compete with each other and one of the factors that helps companies to survive is to have a high productivity and efficient organization.

Imagine yourself counting manually 10000 values with different categories and you want to know the number of each category.

In Scheduling, imagine yourself every time you update your programme, you manually trace the critical path.

Been there, done that. But that was 15 years ago.

Isn’t softwares that important? Let’s get real.

Cheers,

SE
James Griffiths
Nigel,

Sorry, but I totally disagree with your statement that software use is not important. Obviously if your company doesn’t use software, then you aren’t going to need it; but how many companies DON’T use some form of software? All things being equal, you would choose the candidate that has the better software skills.

Ok, most people can learn the software, but how many of us can truly say that we use any form of software to it’s full-potential, know all its quirks, flaws and limitations. It takes years of button-pressing to discover them. It is these "operational characteristics" that need to be learned in order to ensure integrity of the data output. Moreover, the amount of data that needs to be handled and presented, in very short cycles, is so large that it is extremely unlikely that a manual system could be used. Paraphrasing my lecturer, of twenty years ago: the number of activities that could be handled manually is limited to about 250.

It’d be interesting to hear from other PP members of their experiences of manual planning.

James.
vinod raturi
Hi john ,

thanks , for the info . I visited that site , on the face of it, it sure looks a good one.
John Lawson
Hi,

Try having a look at:

http://www.planningengineers.org/

An interesting site with plenty of links:

Regards

John L.
Nigel Winkley
User offline. Last seen 2 days 15 hours ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Listening and asking questions! Reading contracts, drawings and talking with engineers/estimators/the client...
Software use is not iportant, but knowing the principles of planning is.

Nige
Edgar Ariete
User offline. Last seen 5 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
ideally, you must possess unlimited skills, in others words, flexible, that means you can do a plan even without computers..
vinod raturi
Hi ,

I do agree that a planner has to be flexible, should be able to plan even without computers, should have excellent communication skills etc etc but still it is a fact that whenever there is vacancy for planners along with soft skills noted by you , there are requirement of hard skills too such as proficiency in MSP or Primavera , should be able to use databases etc etc.

I would be thankful if any one could guide with respect to these hard skills , especially relevant to fabrication industry.

And yes , with repect to principles of planning can you suggest some good site , where i can brush up my fundamentals ?