Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Piping Project

7 replies [Last post]
Padmanabhan Srini...
User offline. Last seen 18 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
All please tell me what level of detail do we go for a piping project in P3 Iso....Spool? How do we link the activities as i dont find any practical way of linking the activities in either case

Replies

Izam Zakaria
User offline. Last seen 7 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Padma,

The way we do the schedulling work for piping depend the tie in job which mechanical equipment will install first.U can pre install the pipe spool but just concern which equipment comes first.

Later the electrical and instrument part will follow the piping schedule.So is not critical unless piping side become late, everything will impacted to others.

In my oil and gas experience, we also do the hydrotest and so on onto the ground due to equipment mech delivery come s late. It is depend the expertise of ur project management team solve the problem.

So my advise here pls confirm the required on site for Mechanical equipment delivery first.(lond lead items)

HUC job scope,

U must study first the system of commissioning.As we know, modification jobs required for replace the new pipe spool there.So certain line or equipment need to shutdown before we proceed modification works.Justified permit to work whether hot work or cold works or etc....it is a lot clarification here...pls do not hesitate to liaise with me through gmail (aizamcapri@gmail.com)
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 12 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Yes, I agreed with Michael, from there u can get the test pack (Hydrostatic) measurement include Installation of instumentation.
Michael Bonandrini
User offline. Last seen 8 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Yup, there is a better way....

What I do is the following;
1. Get a "from-to" list from the guys that drew up the (P & ID’s). It will probably be drawn up already, if not it should be quick for them

2. Calculate everything in Excel via the following route;

2.1 Put a duration against the activity

2.2 Add the durations, which will give you the start and finish dates (durations + integers in Excel give a new duration)

3. Format the spreadsheet so that it can be imported into Primavera

And Taa daa... this should do the trick.

I’ve developed a macro that does step 2 & 3 for me, but most of the work can be done by putting time into the calculations and making them more detailed using VLookups.

Hope this helps, it’s a lot of work to get it into place, but is worth it’s weight in gold.

G. Cytow
User offline. Last seen 13 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
"level of detail do we go for a piping project in P3 Iso....Spool? How do we link the activities as i dont find any practical way of linking the activities in either case"

P&ID Drwgs my suggestion , but surely there is a better way

Svein Myklebust
User offline. Last seen 15 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

Don’t forget systems - a natural grouping/breakdown.
and look to the engineering guys - your breakdown should match theirs (as much at practical possible) - this will save you a lot of trouble.

Svein
Naveen Nayak
User offline. Last seen 7 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Padma,
Raza is right.
You need to follow the process system which will enable you to code them based on the process system as well as the conventional phases like pre construction, construction / installation & commissioning.
If you try to create a schedule on spool level then you might create a monster which will be diffcult when it comes to updating.
Elaborate on the project so that I cn respond on the relationships.
The best way to start creating a schedule is to look at the estimator’s sheet.

Naveen

Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 12 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,
What U can do, define
1.base priority area.
2.follow by piping process system
utility must come first
just an idea.... i have done it before.